So I had a pretty productive and good day overall. After recording the #wycwyc podcast with Carla, I edited that and cooked myself an awesome lunch. Then I worked on FitBloggin‘ and wrote an article for a client before making dinner with Ryan.
The day started, however, at the gym and I left frustrated with myself.
I’ve been CrossFitting for 2 years now and I’m still not proficient at pull-ups. Don’t get me wrong. I’ve made HUGE strides but I’m pretty much where I was last year at this time. I can do 1 strict, sometimes 2 and that’s it.
In CrossFit lots of folks do what’s called a kipping pull-up. It’s something I decided I wouldn’t work on until I felt strong enough with traditional pull-ups because there is a risk of injury.
Well, today I tried them again and failed miserably … again.
This is me staring the bar down during today’s workout.
I ended up doing single stricts just to get through the workout, which is great! But I really, REALLY want to be able to kip them.
I view the kip as a key movement for most of CrossFit and it may seem silly but I really want to one day be proficient enough to compete in Rx competitions. Of course by the time I do get them I’ll probably be a “master” (40+) but that’s another story.
Anyway, I dug up a pretty good training video on the kip and I’m going to start practicing more regularly again.
It’s amazing how much progress I made with pull-ups simply by working on them a little bit each day. I’m just going to have to make them a priority again. My goal is to post a video of me doing 5 kipping pull-ups in a row before the end of the year.
- 7:45 a.m. 2 hard-boiled eggs and leftover spiced sweet potatoes
- 10 a.m. Stomach growling, busy morning, grabbed a Larabar
- 12:30 For lunch I had some fun. I really wanted to make something different so I played my own game of Chopped with fresh beets, black beans, feta and arugula. The result was a fantastic veggie burger. I’ll get this up on GreenLiteBites ASAP!
- 3:30 p.m. Hungry so I grabbed another beet and black bean burger patty and ate it solo with a side of quinoa chips
- 6 p.m. Salmon, farro and roasted cauliflower
- 8 p.m. Air-popped popcorn with coconut oil and salt
- 6 a.m. Workout: It was find a new 1 rep max on bench press and I failed miserably. I hit 120 lbs for 1 but my record is 130. I just wasn’t feeling it. We also did “Cindy,” which is 20 minutes of 5 pulls, 10 push ups, 15 squats. I did 7 rounds doing single pull-ups and hand released pull-ups.
- 9 p.m. Rolled out a bit while watching TV
- Water… OK.
- Supplements taken