We are in the midst of the #100kSteps Challenge and I am feeling the pressure! I rarely get over 10,000 steps a day (and that even takes effort) so I really need to up my game and this is how I’m going to do it!
- “Walk breaks. Why is it culturally acceptable for smokers to break whenever they want, yet if we get up every hour or so just to take a stroll it seems weird? Well I’m starting a new trend… the work-time walk break! After I finish a blog post or article? Walk break. Inbox cleaned out? Walk break. Need a moment to think? Walk break. Personal phone call? Walk break. Speaking of…
- All phone calls are in motion. Yesterday I called a friend and walked at least a mile while we chatted. Today when I plan on calling Mom, you bet I’ll be moving!
- Dance more! If what I do is called dancing that is. Regardless, TV is going off and the music will be on. Anytime I do this the kids and I have a ball!
- Lunch time walk/run. Depending on if I’m in workout clothes or not I’m committing to either walking or running during my lunch break. My plan is to sneak it in before I eat as I think I’ll be more successful that way. Plus, I hate running on a full stomach.
- Early for bus time pickup. Another chance to sneak in 10 minutes of motion. Instead of standing there waiting for the bus I’ll be doing a lap around the block!
- Post-dinner activity. This is one of those things I’ve gotten out of the habit of since we’ve been busier. Since the Husband usually has tennis in the evenings my plan is to take the kids on a short hike or walk instead of watching TV. It’s good for them too!
- More water. This is a weird one but the way I see it I’m killing two birds with one stone. More water (something I’ve been slacking on lately) and more steps to fill my bottle and hit the bathroom. It’s a win-win!
- Fast feet. Randomly throughout the day I shall do this and look like a nut…
- Jump rope practice. I’ve been sucking at the jump rope in my CrossFit class lately so I’m committing to at least 5 minutes of practice a day.
- Preschool pickup. You may remember my walk with the 3-Year-Old a few weeks ago — click here. Walking to pick him up from preschool is my goal on nice days but honestly, I sometimes get distracted with work or too busy and then it’s too late to do it. So this week I’m shooting for all pickups to happen on foot. It’s a mile there and a mile back and with a half done at a 3-year-old pace it’s quite a time commitment but so very worth it!
Today I successfully completed 8 of these and BAM!
Not bad but I’m going to have to step it up!
Oh! Before I forget, be sure to submit your guess on my total step count for this challenge. All you need to do to be entered to win the $100 gift certificate to lulumom is to leave a comment on this page — click here!
Full disclosure: This challenge is sponsored by Treadmill.com. All opinions expressed are my own. If you are interested in purchasing a treadmill or any of their other products, be sure to tell them Roni sent you for a $50 discount on items over $499!