Yesterday I posted this photo on Instagram…
Have you ever overwhelmed yourself to the point of paralysis? I need to walk away and refocus.
Shortly after I sent it I went for a run, came home, cleaned a shelf in my pantry and cooked dinner.
I felt better.
This morning when I sat down to work, it happened again.
I tried to get through some of my inbox, then I hopped over to Facebook and let myself get distracted by funny articles people posted. I went back, shot a few replies off and lost interest. So I decided to begin redesigning the blog (something that’s way overdue) but I just didn’t know where to begin.
The paralysis set in.
I just sat there, staring at my screen.
It’s not quite stress or depression or even one of my self proclaimed “funks.” It’s this holy-crap-I-have-so-much-to-do-I-don’t-know-where-to-start feeling. And I’m lucky because the “so much to do” is all self-driven. I am a product of my own doing and I know that, but it doesn’t help take the overwhelmed feelings away.
My solution today was, well is, to write this post.
There are two things I do when feeling overwhelmed that always help.
- A good-old fashioned brain dump. Usually the brain dump materializes as a to-do list or a post on the blog but it could even be a nice long conversation with a friend. The idea is to get all the stuff that is swimming in your head out. There are many times I’m stuck simply because I’m thinking about what I need to do instead of doing what I need to do. If I take a moment to get the thoughts of out my head, it frees up just enough brain power to actually start something.
- Focus on something, regardless of how small, and just do it. This is one of the reasons I’m so passionate about #wycwyc — click here if you don’t know what I’m talking about. When I acknowledge my feelings and give myself permission to walk away from the big tasks that are overwhelming, it lets me focus on something smaller and more doable for my current state of mind. Funny enough, almost without fail, accomplishing that smaller thing sets off the positive momentum that leads to tackling the bigger things.
So today my small thing is this blog post and my brain dump is about to begin. (I’m already starting to feel better and accomplished!)
- First of all I am SO excited to be working on two books! One is a collaboration with Carla and it’s about inspiring as many people to #wycwyc as we can. Hence the new site and new Facebook page. I know I need a another project like I need a hole in my head, but I’m passionate about this and really feel like it can help people break the perfectionist mindset that seems to cripple so many, preventing them from reaching their goals.
- The second book I’m working on is a children’s book based on Funderware Day, an idea I had when potty training my first. It’s currently being illustrated and I hope to have it done by the summer. Note: this is a bucket list item for me.
- FitBloggin‘ planning is full steam ahead. I’m stuck a little, waiting to see if a few things pan out, but the new site looking good and we are track to open ticket sales Feb 1. Oh! And we are currently accepting sparks if you want to apply; the call for volunteers will probably be out next week.
- Since last week on GreenLiteBites I posted a fun spaghetti squash dish and my family’s pot roast adventure. I also posted a preschool lunch idea, something I’ve gotten away from the past few months. It’s funny, I feel like GreenLiteBites, out of all my blogs, is the one that gives me the most joy but is also the most (time-consuming) work. Thankfully I joined a year-round CSA and getting the share each week is all the inspiration I need. This week we are getting portobello mushrooms and dried black beans. My wheels are already spinning.
- Today I posted a Throwback Thursday on TheUnWorldlyTravelers. If you are interested in seeing what I was doing 10 years ago in Florida and the crazy bleached blond hair I was sporting back then, click here. That’s when I was in my grow-out phase. Awkward. Anyway, I have so many trips planed for 2014 I can hardly contain my excitement. Especially the adventure with the 8-year-old I just booked. Oh! and I may have an opportunity to cruise with Mom in February! More later as it may be a sponsored trip!
- As for Roni’s Weigh, well, as I said a redesign is LONG overdo. I’m in the middle of a complete rebranding for me, personally, and I want that look and to cascade down to all my sites but I’m just not sure how to go about it quite yet. I did get new business cards, that was step one. Next is my bio site.
- Personally, I’m kicking butt in the New Year. My #2014RunningStreak is going strong!
My goal is at least a mile a day and as I learned with my first streak it’s not hard, you just have to make it a priority. And considering I’ll be running the Rock ‘n’ Roll marathon in Vegas this year, I need to start making it a priority!
- Which reminds me, I registered for the CrossFit open again! I hope to rank just a little higher than I did last year in my region. I do have to add last year I couldn’t clean & jerk 95 pounds and today I just did 118. So progress is being made!
- If you follow me on MyFitnessPal you may have noticed I stopped journaling a few days ago. I was starting to dread it and felt it was time to just eat a bit more intuitively. I’ll pick it back up when I’m ready. I always go through phases like this.
Well, there you go, overwhelmed feeling resolved, brain dump complete. Time to move on to another task!