Weekend Quote: Right Not To Care

I’ve been blogging for more than 8 years now. EIGHT YEARS!

That totally blows my mind. How fast times flies and I swear it accelerates when you have kids, but that’s a whole other story.

Today I want to share a quote that really hit home for me. Especially considering I do what I do.

People always have the right to judge you without knowing who you really are. But you also have the right to not care. — Unknown

As someone who has decided to share — probably too much of – themselves online, I have to remind myself of this pretty much daily. The funny thing is, like a muscle, I think one’s ability to “not care” gets stronger once they decide to put it into practice. There’s almost a fake-it-till-you-make-it aspect to confidence, and that’s really what this quote comes down to for me: Confidence.

I used to let certain things/interactions/comments on the blogs really get to me even though I put on a strong face. Now, I can honestly say, I don’t care and mean it.

I mean, really, what am I gonna do?

20130426_care

People are going to think what they think. All I can do is confidently be me.

It only took me 30-something years to figure all this out and now my challenge is to raise my boys to realize it sooner. I don’t want to get too much into it but we’ve had to have conversations about reacting to bullies recently and it’s been breaking my heart.

I’ll never understand mean people.

Anyway, if you’re interested, I’ve blogged about confidence before, most notably in my Exposed Follow Up post and most recently in this post where I talk about ignoring the inner mean girl.

Have a great weekend, guys! I’ll be back Sunday with a good old fashioned Sensational Sunday post. :)

Erin

April 26, 2013

I love this message…I hope I can get to where you are someday soon! I am trying…happy weekend :-}

Julie

April 26, 2013

Your confidence is one of my favorite things about you! As someone who frequently worries a little too much about what people think, it’s a great reminder to just be yourself. And I think who you are is pretty great!

Karen H.

April 26, 2013

I have two teenage daughters, so ever other day we are discussing how to negate some form of bullying with confidence. I think I’ll share the quote you posted with them. Thanks!!!

elaines630

April 26, 2013

The more I read your site, the more I love it! I turned 30 last year and it seems like I’ve been on a bit of a self discovery journey, trying to find my own self confidence. Posts like this help. A lot.

Jill Schindel

April 26, 2013

Yup! Exercised that right today — there were some new girls in Zumba who I’m pretty sure were laughing at how exuberantly I was flailing. I a) might have been wrong, and b) didn’t care if I was right. The crazier I look, the better the workout I’m getting. So laugh away! It’s taken a few months of focusing on not caring to actually get to the point where I really don’t care. It’s glorious!

Now if I can just get that feeling in the weight room!

As a blogger myself I often feel as if I may be offering to much information. But I have gained do much from my blogging personally and seen the positive effects I’ve had on others. If by me sharing some of my “crazy” helps others I’m “in”
    Going back and reading my own posts has help me keep of my weight and continue to live a healthy active life.
    I love your blog and find great insight in it.
    Your honesty remind me to be completely honest with myself.
    And my blog is my vehicle too.
    Rock on Roni!

Barb

April 27, 2013

Hi Roni, It breaks your heart when of your kids gets singled out and bullied. :) My twelve year old daughter was getting picked on by a terrible bully because her stomach was sticking out more. I noticed it and took her to the doctor who said a little stomach distention is normal with Puberty. I knew there was more to it, and took her to another doctor. Long story short, She had a tumor on her ovary that was so big, it made her stomach distend. The bully was spreading rumors that she was pregnant. :( I don’t understand why kids can be so mean. Do they learn this from their parents?? We called the principal of her school and they did handle it very well. She had the tumor removed and is completely healthy now but it broke my heart to watch this unfold. Hope you have a great weekend.

Lindsay Tredent

April 27, 2013

Whenever I find myself caring what other people think I am reminded of a quote my mom told me – “What you think of me is none of my business.” Helps me a lot to remember the big picture! Thank you for sharing so much of yourself online to inspire and motivate others.

Svanhvit

April 29, 2013

That is something I am still working on. I am getting better at it all the time :) Bullying is a horrible thing – I went through it myself for years and I will go far to protect my children from it.

Patty

April 29, 2013

Well said! My previous boss used to say that she was glad she was older because she no longer cared what people said or thought. She said to me…you’ll get to the point where you know yourself and that’s enough. I never forgot that.

Charlie Hills

April 30, 2013

“When you’re twenty, you worry about what everyone thinks about you. When you’re forty, you don’t care what anyone thinks about you. When you’re sixty, you realize that no one was thinking about you all along.”

psycho

May 3, 2013

If you are writing about it and sharing this…then it’s obviously you do.