Has Weight Loss Surgery Jumped the Shark?

Image from abcNews.com.

It’s called the AspireAssist device. Click here to read the entire article.

I’m really trying not to be critical, but isn’t this medically approved bulimia without the throwing up part?

I completely understand HOW this device works to help a patient lose weight, but really? Aren’t we treating the symptom and not the cause here?

Yes, eating too much leads to weight gain, but is our solution to simply enable overeating?

I don’t find this “gross” as the article suggest. I find it troubling, sad, and disconcerting.

Janet Oberholtzer

January 10, 2013

Omg! “Troubling, sad, and disconcerting” is right.

Jules Joyce

January 10, 2013

I find this extremely sad… i read an article today about a woman who lost 320 pounds on weight watchers that is inspiring….it can be done…the only difference is the time frame. the more we move for ‘instant” gratification and “instant” fixes the more we lose the essence and lessons in the process….THAT is what makes it sad.

June Burnett

January 11, 2013

That is incredibly troubling! Wow, doctor assisted bulimia. Yes, let’s not fix the problem, and expect people to make changes for their health’s sake, let’s enable a mental disease.

Svanhvit

January 11, 2013

Dear heavens!! I absolutely agree with you! How many will have the feeling they can now eat all they want/can and still lose weight. To say nothing of the few vitamins etc probably being lost as well and the mental issues being left completely out of everything!

Katie

January 11, 2013

Oh good lord. How awful! At least with gastric bypass (which is extreme and troubling itself) the patient must alter their diet.

Arlene Hittle

January 11, 2013

Wow. Just wow. I can’t say anything better than others have already said it.

Tracy @ www.mytinytank.net

January 11, 2013

People are very smart. Especially people with eating disorders. Food addiction. Misuse of food. Even after weight loss surgery you can gain back your weight. Food Addicts will learn to get around the pump too because they really don’t like themselves. I always say “Losing the weight is one thing, keeping it off is another.” I am addicted to food. I use it as a tool to make myself feel better. I’m not unlike many people. 12 years ago I had gastric bypass. After living my entire life overweight for the first time now knew what it was like to be an average weight. As a child I was not brought up in a household of healthy living. So like that person who had spinal surgery and needs to relearn how to walk. I had to learn how to nourish myself and care for myself. BUT the most important thing I gained from this experience (and I’m still learning) is how to maintain that weight loss!! This is why I love Roni’s site. It inspires me to keep up the fight for healthy living. This article horrified me too. Why? Hey I had weight loss surgery. It horrifies me because I know that there will be a lot of people who will just eat anything they want (the article said it too) and think they have solved their problem. I know it takes a lot of hard work to eat healthy and maintain my weight loss. And a tremendous amount of work to beat a food addiction. My hope would be for any person who loses a huge amount of weight that they then learn how to maintain their weight loss through a healthy eating and exercise plan. Easier said than done we all know first hand right. I’m not a weight loss surgery “pusher” I’m just a girl who had gastric bypass and who has changed her life for the better by learning to care for herself and her body.

Aimee

January 11, 2013

This is disturbing on many levels. As a nurse and as someone who has battled weight issues most of my life I am saddened by irresponsibility of those who advocate such a device. The implication that one can eat with total disregard to what is going into their body because it will be purged is shameful.

meltingmama

January 11, 2013

I am a bariatric patient, and this HORRIFIES even me.

Tracy @ www.mytinytank.net

January 11, 2013

I think what horrified me most about the “article” was the statement “and can eat anything they want” yikes! Anyone who has maintained a weight loss, no matter how they lost their weight knows you must control your eating and stay active to maintain your weight loss.

Ashley Gee

January 11, 2013

While I know it’s tempting to judge devices like this (and the people that use them?), I think we need to be careful not to shame anyone who’s considering bariatric surgery of any kind. In order for bariatric surgery to be approved by insurance companies, you have to go through at least 6 months of medically supervised weight loss efforts. This is not a device someone could just go out and get on a whim and without proper medical supervision.

I agree that some people tend to view bariatric surgery as a quick cure-all, but I certainly don’t think this is the norm. Most people considering bariatric surgery are using this as a last resort–they’ve tried and tried to lose weight and can’t lose as much as they need as quickly as they need; or they have another medical condition on top of their obesity that’s impeded their weight loss. At least with this device-type, it doesn’t permanently alter the body–perhaps with that proper supervision, a patient using this device would learn good habits and, when it’s time to remove it, would be able to keep the weight off.

RoniNoone

January 11, 2013

But Ashley this isn’t Bariatric surgery. I think this is a taking weight loss surgery to a whole new level. There are other options that aren’t permenant solutions and don’t allow you to “eat all you want” and “still lose weight.” That is the definition of trying to find a quick cure all. It’s not shaming someone to express an opinion that this device is going in the wrong direction.

Ashley Gee

January 11, 2013

I think you’re reacting to the wording of the article more than the device itself, then. It’s a medical device that would have to require procedures by a doctor. I don’t think any good doctor would implant this device on a patient who wanted it so they could eat all they wanted.

RoniNoone

January 11, 2013

Key word there is GOOD doctor. We all know this will be abused by patients and not so good doctors looking to make a buck. Just look at the plastic surgery industry and I know some folks who were skirted past the requirements for gastric bypass. It happens, a lot.

And I’m reacting to the actual device. It allows you to purge your stomach contents. I’m sorry, I just don’t see any good in this particular procedure. Again, just my opinion. I think it’s a scary direction to take and I think most GOOD doctors may agree.

Cindy

January 11, 2013

I am really not trying to be funny at all but I nearly threw up just reading the article. Even now, I am still nauseous. This is just disgusting and goes to show what the ‘medical’ industry will do to make a buck…..or millions. Sick.

Maureen W.

January 11, 2013

This reminds me of The Hunger Games.

Jen

January 11, 2013

As someone who is overweight and fighting an eating disorder, I would say that would totally be an enabler!

Mehgann

January 12, 2013

People who overeat are generally depressed. I know that’s been my problem for many, MANY years. How is this a good thing? It’s basically saying “You don’t need to tackle your depression…we’ll solve all of your superficial problems so NO ONE ELSE WILL KNOW!” How is this good for anyone???

vanessa p

March 6, 2013

Weight loss surgery is fast becoming a very popular way for obese and morbidly obese people to get and keep the weight off.