- Blog Topics
So I haven’t done a straight up review post in quite awhile. The whole culture around them is just, well, off.
I started doing "food finds" well before any brand would even consider sending a blogger products. Blogging wasn’t as complicated then. If I found a product I liked, I’d share it. That’s me. That’s how I roll. It’s probably why I am a blogger in the first place –I have a big mouth. :)
Now big companies with BIG budgets expect you to promote things for free and it’s muddied the waters a bit. Sometimes they offer to pay which muddies it even further.
Do I accept products? Do I write a review? Should I get paid? What if I don’t like it? What if I don’t have time to write about it? What if my readers don’t like it? Is this what my job is? What IS my job?
See how my brain works. I over-analyze.
Bottom line… This is my blog and I get to decide when, how and what I write about. Most of the time I make that decision very organically (things just pop into the ol’ noggin’) but sometimes I am influenced by an email or a pitch.
A few weeks ago I was asked to try Simply Snackin, a high protein, low calorie gourmet dried meat snack.
Yes, if you are vegetarian feel free to stop reading now. Sorry. :)
I agreed to the request because I happen to be on the hunt for quick, grab-able, less processed snacks that aren’t high calories bars or crackers or chips. It seems most things in the convenience category are overly processed and "carby."
Plus, I’ve been on a jerky kick lately.
Anyway, when I got them in the mail I was surprised by the flavors.
- Beef Sirloin with Cranberries and Blueberries
- Beef Sirloin with Apples and Cherries
- Teriyaki Beef Sirloin with Pineapples
- Chicken Breast with Italian Seasonings and Romano Cheese
- Chicken Breast with Black Bean Salsa
- Teriyaki Chicken Breast with Mangoes and Papayas
FUN! I love the idea of combining meat with fruit.
As with most jerky-like products the ingredient lists are pretty simple. Here’s the nutritional label from the Beef Sirloin with Apples and Cherries.
It pretty much represents most of the flavors. The more savory ones have a little less sugar a bit more protein, but over all you’re looking at a high protein 60 calorie snack.
I love that they are also low fat, and low carbohydrate. That’s pretty rare for a handy, purse-friendly option you can bring on the go.
And I must say, they are satisfying. Especially the spicy black bean salsa one! Just make sure you have glass of water on hand. I made the mistake of trying that one on the run with no drink. Yikes!
Overall, I’m a HUGE fan. I just placed an order for an assorted chicken pack and an assorted beef pack because honestly, I couldn’t make up my mind. Both are really good!
I’m planning on keeping them on hand for those run out the door days. The kids haven’t tried them yet but Ryan was introduced to Slim Jims by Grandpa, so I’m hoping he’ll be game. These are a much better lunch box addition then some of the other packaged stuff he’s been into.
Oh! And I’m thinking stocking stuffers! I’m not saying I’ll ditch the chocolate all together but a few Simply Snackins may be put in the mix this year too. :)
If you are interested in ordering use the code RNPROMO when you check out on the SimplySnackin.com website. It will give you 10% off.
Full Disclosure: Simply Snackin’ sent me samples. I was not paid for this and am not currently an affiliate. I will make no income from any sales that result from this post. All opinions expressed are my own.
I’ve been doing this a looong time…
- Weekend Quote: I Run Because...
- To Weigh or Not To Weigh: That is the Question
- Wednesday Weigh In: Selling Ourselves Short
- Obesity Awareness: Are We Numb?
- A Relaxing Sensational Sunday
- Should Strong be the New Skinny?
- Thirteen Thursday Thoughts
- Wednesday Weigh In: The Daily Cycle
- VitaCake ‘Recipe’ Contest Winners Announced!
- Baltimore Color Run from The Eyes of The 7-Year-Old
- Scenes from my Sensational Mother's Day Sunday
- Weekend Quote: Comfort Zone
- This Just in...
- A Post-Vacation Weigh In
- 20 Fun Yogurt Topping Ideas
- Home on this Sensational Sunday!
- Weekend Quote: Missing Happiness
- Running on Vacation
- A Pre-Vacation Wednesday Weigh In
- So, You Want to Run a Tough Mudder?
- What a Weekend!
- Weekend Quote: Right Not To Care
- Note to Self...
- Wednesday Weigh In: Just 1 Variable
- Ask Roni: Movie Snacks, Paleo, Finding Time, Maintenance, My Inspiration.
- Post Event Blah
- 2 Days-2 Tough Mudders-2 Minutes
- Women, Men and Beauty. I needed a good laugh.
- Does Anyone Mind if I Just Let My Brain Dump?
- Wednesday Weigh In: GOOOOOAAAAALLLL!
Roni started this blog in '05 to journal her weight loss. 70lbs later, she's committed to living a conscious, healthy life and hopes to inspire others along the way. Read more on the about page.
Like the new look of Roni’s Weigh?
Check out PageLines WordPress Themes. Roni's Weigh is built on premium theme PlatformPro.