This morning I was in a rotten mood. I’ve been feeling great the past couple of days, in the zone, trucking along and then… BAM I don’t know what happened? I started to get all down in the dumps and blah.
And no, it’s NOT that time of the month so don’t go there.
Getting out of bed this morning was excruciating. It’s so darn dark out anymore and I was tired, but I knew if I put it off I’d never make it to the gym later and the Tough Mudder is only a couple of weeks away. (I will make it across those darn monkey bars, I WILL!) So I got my ass up and headed out the door.
At the gym I saw THAT girl and then every time I caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror I felt like a cow. We’re not going to go there today. Let’s just say sometimes, I really do think I have that body dysmorphic disease or whatever the heck it’s called.
Anyway, I forged through the workout and ran home distracted by Jillian Michael’s podcast. Then I got on the computer and was hoping to hear from a friend but I didn’t. I hate how relationships change over time, not good, not bad, just different.
Then I looked at my long list of things to do for FitBloggin and how my hands are tied until I hear back from the hotel yet I have sponsors asking me questions I can’t answer. All this while researching and planning for FitBloggin’13. Then I questioned my sanity in starting the process all over again.
I realize, by the way, all these things should by no means put me in a funk. It’s dark, blah blah blah. I’m tired, blah blah blah. I don’t like my body, blah blah blah. My friend doesn’t like me any more, blah blah blah. My awesome job (that I invented) is too hard, blah blah BLAH. All pretty much first world problems.
Life could be a lot worse. A LOT. I know this, but the "be grateful" thing doesn’t work in the moment while in a funk especially when there’s no real reason for the funk. Nope, for me the only way out is to change my focus and actively DO something or at least plan to do something.
I guess you can say I’m action orientated.
SO… instead of moping around in my ridiculous funk I did a few things today.
- I started researching trips to knock something off the old Bucket List next year. I don’t want to share too much right now but let me just say it involves me and the 7 year old and a hiking adventure. :)
- I blasted music, danced, and cleaned the kitchen with the kids. Always therapeutic.
- When the babysitter came, I posted about our trip to DC on the UnWorldlyTravelers. This may seem minor but I have a tendency to procrastinated (especially while in a funk) when there’s something I need to do (work on conference) but can’t do (waiting on hotel) so forcing myself to sit down and accomplish something was a good thing.
- By the time I was done with the DC post the hotel came through with what I needed and started to work my butt off. Soon all my funk thoughts were no where to be found. I was too busy to care.
- After a productive afternoon I put on this dress…
despite being self conscious of my arms and being told by The Husband and 7 year old that they didn’t like it. I didn’t care. It was comfy and cute and I rarely wear dresses. It was a nice change and what do boys know anyway?
So I headed to Back to School night to meet Ryan’s teacher and then I got a haircut and treated myself to some popcorn at the mall.
It ended up to be a great day that just started a little shaky. I don’t know about you but sometimes I have to consciously change my focus and just forge through the funk.
|egg white omelet with peppers, summer squash and leftover ham cubed||took a break from the eggs for a couple of days. I missed them|
|cherry flavored greek yogurt mixed with a little cocoa powder||I couldn’t help myself. This combo is great. The husband and I were going out to lunch but I wasn’t gonna make it. Stomach was growling.|
|salad + spicy tuna roll + california roll + fortune cookie||Husband’s idea. I can’t refuse the lunch special at the sushi place!|
|leftover bakes ham, large sweet potato split with the kids + broccoli||quick dinner before I headed to school|
|2.5 mile run + BodyPump class|
|not good. Was just too lazy.|