FOOD JOURNALS

No Snacking Update and a Food Journal

Yesterday I decided to challenge myself (and you if you want in) on NOT mindlessly snacking this week. My evenings have been ridiculous lately. Baked Dorritos, chocolate goldfish, swiss cake roll, ridiculous.

Yea..

I’m done.

Part of me is on the natural post-event downer. Now that the Tough Mudder is over I’m not working towards anything. I can’t seem to find my workout motivation. Being sick last week didn’t help either.

My goals right now are to stop the evening mindless munch fests, schedule a few events and create a realistic workout routine to re-establish ME time.

Today I decided to do a photo food journal to help build my momentum.

This morning I made this smoothie and added about a tablespoon of Chia seeds.

They are new to me, never bought them before. Click here to check out Little Bean’s "review."

Lunch was a quick wrap made with The Laughing Cow, deli ham, mustard and baby spinach plus some red bell pepper on the side.

Oh! and my big iced green tea on the side.

The Husband had leftover Chinese. :)

For an afternoon snack I had an apple with some almond butter.

I’m trying to stick with UNproccesed, non-carby snacks.

Dinner was a grilled pork chop and grilled potaotes, peppers, and summer squash. Similiar to this old idea on GreenLiteBites.

I split the bigger chop with both kids (baby ate zip, but I tried.)

After dinner? A nice walk with the boys. :)

After the kids went to bed I had my one allowed snack. Homemade Banana Soft Serve.

I made it with a frozen banana, a handful of frozen blueberries, and some unsweetened cocoa powder.

A-MAZING!

Now my kitchen is closed and it’s time for bed. I swear, half the reason I eat at night is becuase I’m tired. It’s rarely becuase I’m hungry.

Anyway, a few quick announcements before heading to bed…

1. I am working on a list of running events for the next few months I’ll doing. I didn’t officially make it a goal but I’m trying hard to do at least 1 event a month again this year.
  2. This Thursday I will be recording May’s Ask Roni video LIVE on Spreecast. Stay tuned for more details. I’m still working out some logistics but Thursday, May 24, 1 PM ET is scheduled! I’m going to have company too! MizFit will be joining me as we’ve been considering hosting a monthly show together.
  3. Only 4 MONTHS until the FitBloggin conference. Things are REALLY pickin up now and the nervousness is setting in. SO much to still do!

ok, sleepytime! :)

Sarah @ Semi-Sweet

May 22, 2012

Good going today! I am SO with you on the issue of there being nothing to work for, so eating/etc. slipping. That is such a me thing. WTG w/the photos to rein it in again. I’ve been finding, lately, that if I just tell myself “no snacks” and then budget meal calories appropriately, it helps. Snacks are a slippery slope for me, no matter what time of day . . . in fact, you’re inspiring me: Today might be a “no snack” day!

I love this. I have been trying to journal again as I know it is the ONLY thing that works.

Christine

May 22, 2012

I love that TJ’s Flax/Almond Butter!

Dorene

May 22, 2012

Thanks for the share, I’m going to join you. My biggest problem is the snacks. I do great all day but in the evening all I want is to snack. First I think something sweet…nope that didn’t do it…then I think something salty…nope that didn’t do it. Hum-mm, maybe sweet and salty together? Then after 3 or 4 different snacks I feel miserable and still want something else. Today I stop!

The Girl in Yoga Pants

May 22, 2012

I just realized that I’m really bad about snacking when I’m tired. Now I know that when the evening munchies kick in, it’s time for bed. My body doesn’t want food, it wants sleep! I’m joining you on the no-mindless-snacking challenge this week. I need to focus on going to bed when I’m tired.

Jessica

May 22, 2012

Thanks to your post about the no-nighttime snacking, I did not snack yesterday, woohoo!
    Also, thanks to you, I made my morning smoothie in my Magic Bullet. I had previously been making my smoothies in my food processor, which was a PIA to clean and didnt liquify all that well. But thanks to your praise on the Magic Bullet, I bought it a few months ago and have LOVED it ever since!
    OMG, your wrap sounds SO good. I need to get back into eating LC cheese.

rachel

May 22, 2012

I am taking this challenge with you, No snacking in the evenings!!! This morning I say to myself why did I eat goldfish crackers till I went to bed, why? Today is a new beginning, thanks Roni.

May 22, 2012

Jessica – I wish the magic bullet people would just hire me. lol I use that thing daily!

May 22, 2012

OMG Rachel – I said the same thing to myself every day last week.. why the goldfish? why did I eat those tricuits? what was I thinking polishing off the Doritos as midnight?!? lol

Agnes

May 22, 2012

Thanks for the post Roni. I’m with you! I love that you planned your one snack (the banana soft serve). Also, thanks for mentioning the Magic Bullet, I’ve been considering it too. You’re such an inspiration…one day I hope to be just like you! :)

Michelle

May 22, 2012

Hi Roni….do you make your banana soft serve with the magic bullet??? I watched your video where you made it with the food processor but I don’t have one….but I do have a magic bullet….does it work the same???

May 22, 2012

Michelle – I do! Actually I’ve been thinking of making a video of my new technique. I’ll keep you posted!

Jessica

May 22, 2012

Hey Roni, I just saw your Green Light Bites post on a tuna wrap and it.looks.awesome. Will you consider making a video on how you fold your wrap to get it to stay together? I try to make wraps but they fall apart :( Thanks!

KarenJ

May 22, 2012

I have the cure for nighttime eating – work until 8pm lol! I get home at almost 9, and only have to make it until 10 when we head up to bed! Seriously though, this was one of the hardest habits for me to break, but I eventually did with a LOT of practice. Some people brush their teeth after dinner. I keep a supply of sugar-free mints and have a couple for dessert. The minty taste seems to take away the desire to eat anything afterward.

I always have frozen bananas in the freezer at all times! My family is big into ice cream almost daily, but I gave it up several years ago. My “go to” is a frozen banana smoothie and I have the Ninja blender and I love it!!

May 22, 2012

Jessica – They are usually temperamental. One of those things that I can’t put down once pick it up. I’ll try to plan a wrap post next. :)

May 22, 2012

Michelle – Here’s how I do it!

Becky

May 22, 2012

That frozen banana smoothie sounds so good. Yet another reason to get a magic bullet!!

Sarah Collins

May 23, 2012

Hi Roni… Just discovered your blog… and couldn’t resist commenting when I saw your delicious chia smoothie… even you son looks like he wants it… I give chia milk to my 10 month old son, who loves it… Chia is truly a super food… Adding chia to my diet actually helped me cut cravings for high-starchy foods and sweets because the seeds balance blood sugar levels and they really helped me lose weight… not only that I’ve since discovered that Chia is nature’s highest plant-based sources of complete protein, contains more omega 3 than Fish and is extremely high in anti-oxidants too?
    So I love Chia xx im off to find some almond butter now.. thanks

Sarah
    Office massage therapist

erica

May 24, 2012

Roni,

Can you review bobharper.com??

there’s not much information on the website?? I bought the new Bob Harper skinny rules book…

it’s great! makes sense, nice package, not complicated, real foods, not much cooking, but again real whole foods… and so far makes my skin great!

thanks :)

May 29, 2012

I’ll check it out the next time I’m at the book store!