My running history starts with my first 5k attempt on the treadmill and pretty much ends at my recent marathon experience. It’s been an insane, confidence building 18 months but sometimes I still have a hard time calling myself . . . dun. . dun. . dun. . . a runner.
It still cracks me up. Especially considering what people have told me. :)
Anyway, what I’ve learned about myself is that I need a reason. A goal. An event. SOMETHING to motivate me. I’m like this with a lot of things. It’s one of the reasons I agree with many who say weight maintenance is harder then weight loss. While losing I had a goal. I can track my progress as I worked towards that goal. However, in maintenance my goal is to stay the same. There is no progress to track or finish line to cross. It’s just not as motivating. For me, anyway.
Right now I feel like I’m in the maintenance stage of running. I set my running goals for the 2009 here. I reached those goals. Now what do I do?
Well. . . set more goals of course! It’s the only thing that keeps me going.
This year I’m not going for distance as much as consistency. My plan is to run at least 1 organized event a month. That can’t be too hard, can it?
Here’s what I registered for so far. . .
- Already Ran the 5k Resolution Run :)
- Time: 30:02
- 2010 Superbowl 5K
- Sunday, February 07, 2010 @ 10:00 AM
- Canceled due to snow. :(
- KELLY St. Patrick’s Day Shamrock 5K
- Sunday, March 14, 2010 @ 1:15 PM
- Time 28:02 – Mentioned it here.
- Survivor Harbor 7
- Sunday, June 13, 2010 @ 8:00 AM
- Time: 68:10 – Click here to read a short recap – I have one word for this race.. HOT
- Salvation Army ‘Christmas in July’ 5K Boardwalk Run & Fun Walk
- Sunday, July 18, 2010 @ 8:00 AM
- Ran with JenIRL – Mentioned it here
- Changed to BlogHer5k
- Saturday, August 7, 2010
- Mentioned it here
- 16th Annual Towson Y Turkey Trot
- Thursday, November 25, 2010 @ 8:00 AM
- Time: 38:49 Mentioned it here
- Jingle Bell 5k
- Saturday, December 18, 2010 @ 10:00 AM
- Time: 34:00 Mentioned it here
Anyone else set some running goals this year?