A POM-errific Day in Pictures!

opened pomegranate

For those of you who don’t know what all this POM talk is about let me explain as I’ve been busy and very vauge. A few weeks ago POM asked if I’d be willing to take a trip out to Fresno, CA to tour the pomegranate plant and orchard. I was totally flattered to be invited along with this inspirational group of bloggers. And let me tell you they are one FABULOUS bunch!

So let me tell you about this POM-errific Day…

It all started with a trip to the hotel gym. I forgot how much a DESPISE running on a treadmill. I did a mile and then walked some steep hills. It was the only way I could stand it. I’m really trying to get back into some sort of workout routine now that my life is calming down a bit.

Anyway, after the gym and a fabulous breakfast. We were off to the orchards! The scenery on the way was fabulous…

Drive out to POM orchards

Drive out to POM

In the van we chatted and chatted and chatted and tried the new fabulous POMx bar. These were good. Very dense, very filling and the best part… the ingredients! FINALLY a company gets it! We don’t want a list of things we can’t pronounce in our bars. Well at least I don’t. So I was impressed when I read the ingredients and saw nothing but dates, peanuts and chocolate. I can’t find the ingredient list online and I threw out the wrapper but I’ll get the specifics for those interested.

POMx Bar

Once we made it to the orchards we were pleasantly surprised by the almond trees that were there. I have never seen an almond on a tree before. It was SO COOL! Here’s Janel from Dine Dish Delish

almond on the TreeJanel from Dine Dish Delish...

…and Catlin with Tina

Catlin with Tina...

…and Gina and Healther and me. :)

Gina and Healther and Roni

Then the planes arrived!

Of course we needed a group shot…

the POM bloggers at the Pomegranate orchards

…and I had to be a little goofy. :)

Roni being goofy

Here we are in the plane. Coco, Erik and Heather.

Coco, Erik and Heather.

Me, Gina, and Kristy.

Roni, Gina, and Kristy.

oh and our Pilot, Pierce Brosnan. (seriously, doesn’t he look like Pierce??)

our pomegranate pilot

The views were spectacular!

view of the pomegranate orchard

view of the pomegranate orchard 2

view of the pomegranate orchard 3

Once we landed it was off to the Pomegranate Orchards with our fabulous hosts from POM.

the POM hosts

The fruits were amazing!

pomegranate on the treePomegranate

We learned lots! (at the end Daniel shares a great tip about freezing pomegranate!)

Had lots of fun… (that’s Bren and Coco)

BrenCoco

and picked some of our own pomegranates.

me picking a pomegranateme picking a pomegranate 2

Roni with pomegranate

This is my favorite shot of a fully ripened pomegranate still on the bush…

totally ripe pomegranate

…and Jeff got one of me looking at it.

Roni looking at Pomegranate

After that we were TOTALLY exhausted. We headed back to the hotel chilled for a bit and then it was off to dinner. I ate way too much and loved every minute of it! :) I even got my whole end of the table to have a POM juice and citron vodka with me. It may replace vodka and cran for my favorite drink. :)

menu at Pomegranate dinnerPOM and vodka

Overall it was an AWESOME day. And to think a few years ago I didn’t even know what a pomegranate was. I decided to try one for a Produce Pick way back when and discovered one of my all time favorite fruits. Not to mention got the toddler totally hooked on them as well. ;~P

I’ll leave you with a few links to food ideas I’ve posted using pomegranate and POM juice. If you’ve never tried one please take the leap. They are not as complicated as you may think and you never know you may just find a new fruit you can’t live without and there’s nothing wrong with that!

Thank you POM for inviting me to this wonderful event. I think its great to see a company put out such great products and really care about peoples health.

Mandi

October 21, 2009

great pics, Roni! thanks for sharing! And…just to know you are not alone…I despise running on the treadmill too! I have never understood how I can run a half marathon outside, but can barely get over 2 miles on a treadmill!

Mara @ What's for Dinner?

October 21, 2009

I love all the photos of my favorite bloggers!!! I’m so glad you’re having a blast!

Awesome pictures! Thanks for keeping us updated!

michelle

October 21, 2009

you are one beautiful woman. hey…that pilot…can he fly over to Oz?

Carolyn

Beautiful photographs!

Diana

October 21, 2009

That view! Omg, that’s breathtaking.

Very cool that the company did this. I’m glad you had a good time! :)

Jessica @ How Sweet It Is

October 21, 2009

Love the pics! The view is incredible!

Bonnie Richmond

October 21, 2009

Roni–how cool! I love pomegranates too! Are you going to give us that great tip about freezing pomegranates? Thanks in advance!
    Bonnie

Robin

October 21, 2009

Roni–my friend at work and I have been talking about pomegranates. I love all of the pomegranate drinks, etc but have avoided the actual fruit itself-because of her!!She tells me that all of the little ‘pods’ have a seed in them. She has swayed me from trying an actual fruit. I have picked one up at the store more than once! I then put it right back! Is that true???

October 21, 2009

Bonnie – Did you watch the video? It’s up there. The tip is to spread them on a cookie sheet and put them in the freezer. I’ll do a GreenLiteBites thing about it when I get some time!

October 21, 2009

Robin – The pods are called ariels and yes they have a tiny seed in them but you eat it. At first I thought it was weird but after a few bites I got used to them. Totally not a deal breaker!! :)

Cynthia (It All Changes)

October 21, 2009

I’m so happy that you put the links for what to do with them at the bottom. I love them plain but I never know what to do with them. They remind me of my childhood at Christmas with my grandparents.

alli

October 21, 2009

Hey there! I just found your blog through Caitlin. I LOVE it! Weight Watchers was where I began my journey in Jan. 2008 where I lost about 10 lbs. I have since stopped countng points and am now in the process of learning how to eat a balanced healthy diet! Thanks for your inspiration! Seeing your post about running a marathon is totally inspiring! I haven’t run more than a half marathon…but anything is possible!

Melissa (The Daily Mel)

October 21, 2009

Great pics! I just have to add that the fact a vodka cran is your favorite drink only makes me like you all the more. It’s my favorite drink as well. ;) I’ll definitely have to give a Vodka Pom a try!

jan

October 24, 2009

girlfriend, you know i’m one of your biggest fans, but that hotel breakfast was NOT fabulous. you cook FABULOUS breakfasts, this one was meh….

Bren

October 25, 2009

hey Roni! great recap. it was an amazing time, wasn’t it!?! nice pics, too. everything about it was wonderful. so glad to have met, and make sure to stay in touch!

October 25, 2009

LOL Jan… I meant the company not the food. :)

Crystal

October 25, 2009

Roni,

What an awesome trip. I am so glad that companies are taking notice of bloggers who are truly interested in health and making good healthy choices for their families! It looked like you had an awesome time. Thanks for sharing with us.

Crystal

P.S. You need to start a segment “Where in the world is Roni Diego?”