- Blog Topics
That’s what the husband says to me after returning from my morning run. It wasn’t just any morning run. It was a 13 mile morning run. Half of what I’ll be doing on October 10 for the Baltimore Marathon. Ya gotta love sarcastic husbands who say such things from the bed they haven’t gotten out of yet after you return from moving non-stop for 2.5 hours. (side note: husband just informed me he wasn’t be sarcastic he was merely stating fact. Nice right? lmao)
I ate gonna lie… it was HARD. This was the longest I’ve run since my first and only half marathon this spring. I should be at higher distances at this point in my training but with everything going on I’m doing what I can when I can.
Before I get into the run let me tell you about my new running partner, the Ultimate Direction Fastdraw Plus water bottle. Now I’ve never carried water on a run. I’m not sure why? I guess it’s because I started with such short distances and have been building them up?? Dunno. I just never felt like carrying anything and the thought of something around my waist or on my back kind of freaks me out.
Anyway, I inquired at the running store about options and the sales women recommended this. At first I was like, "why don’t I just carry a bottle?" but then I tried it. I love the fact that it’s attached to your hand and you still have control over your fingers. It’s really simple but super easy. I switch it from hand to hand while running every mile or so just to mix it up.
So equipped with my water I head out this morning. The first 4 miles or so was ok. I felt pretty good. I’m still getting over that weird bug I had mid week so my head was a little stuffy but running-wise I was fine.
I was running on a major route here in Baltimore County that happens to be side-walked for quite a distance and just about 5 miles in I was passing a Wal-Mart. By this time I had to pee. I SWEAR ever since having a kid my bladder just ain’t what it used to be. So I headed in and used the restroom.
I also happen to pass 2 McDonald’s on this particular stretch of run and I decided to stop at the second to fill up the water bottle. I was drinking a lot as I already felt a bit dehydrated and the sun was beating me down the entire time.
By mile 9, I was hurting. My knee was starting to ache. My abs were getting sore. And my head couldn’t stop focusing on how much further I had to go. It was about this time I started to take some short walking breaks. Then I realized I could speed walk a bit. You know, increase my stride and swing my arms.
At first I was a little disappointed with myself and then I realized something. I’m still moving! Walking is NOT quitting. I’m moving forward, I’m making progress. AND I’m enjoying it. I had fun the last few miles alternating between a speed walk and a jog. Plus who really cares how I finish 13 miles? I covered 13 miles on foot and I did it just over 2.5 hours by myself AND I felt great!
I made one more stop around mile 11 to fill up my water bottle at a Starbucks (they were super nice as I had to ask for them to do it for me) and I actually ran the last quarter mile back home.
Even after my awesome run today I am still terrified about the marathon because the husband is right. I have to do what I did twice and the thought of that totally.freaks.me.out.
I’ve been doing this a looong time…
- Taking a Wednesday Weigh In Moment
- Yippee for Vine on Android!
- What Are You Self-Conscious of?
- A Post-Birthday Father's Day
- Weekend Quote: Explode Beyond Your Limitations
- 3 New Food Finds
- Wednesday Weigh In: 3 Scale-Less Weeks!
- 5 Ways Ditching 'Perfect' has Made Me Happier, Healthier and More Successful
- Scenes from My Low-Key Sensational Sunday
- Weekend Quote: How would your life be different if…
- My Run Streak Continues with a Note About Committing
- Wednesday Weigh In!
- Let's Talk About Trigger Foods
- My Legs. What Legs?
- Avalanches Are Scary
- Weekend Quote: Uncomfortable
- Blog to Book: Musings from My Weight Loss Journey [Kindle Edition]
- A Weight-less Wednesday Weigh In
- Scenes From Our Memorial Monday
- Weekend Quote: I Run Because...
- To Weigh or Not To Weigh: That is the Question
- Wednesday Weigh In: Selling Ourselves Short
- Obesity Awareness: Are We Numb?
- A Relaxing Sensational Sunday
- Should Strong be the New Skinny?
- Thirteen Thursday Thoughts
- Wednesday Weigh In: The Daily Cycle
- VitaCake ‘Recipe’ Contest Winners Announced!
- Baltimore Color Run from The Eyes of The 7-Year-Old
- Scenes from my Sensational Mother's Day Sunday
Roni started this blog in '05 to journal her weight loss. 70lbs later, she's committed to living a conscious, healthy life and hopes to inspire others along the way. Read more on the about page.
Like the new look of Roni’s Weigh?
Check out PageLines WordPress Themes. Roni's Weigh is built on premium theme PlatformPro.