How can I NOT talk about twitter now that Oprah is onboard? Seriously. ;~P
I love observing how people use technology. With all the Twitter buzz lately I’m seeing a few patterns emerge. From what I can tell there seems to only be 5 different types of Twitter Followers. Those that…
- follow everyone that has an account.
- These people could crudely be called twitter whores. What ever the reason (some may be maliscious, some benign) they follow every twitter ID they can find. These people normally follow significantly more people then follow them.
- follow anyone who is in a specific "niche".
- These twitter users have a purpose. They may blog in a tight topic or niche and have a "clique" of fellow twitters that share their interest.
- follow everyone that follows them.
- I fell into this category for awhile. I thought it only polite to follow a fellow twitter who went out of their way to follow me. Then I realized not everyone following me had an interest in what I was saying. Some where just trying to build their own numbers or do research.
- follow only those that @ reply them.
- I now fall into the category in addition to seeking others out in my niche. If I have conversation with another twitter-er or someone goes out of their way to respond to one of my tweets I take the time to check out their twitter page and/or blog.
- only follow people they know.
- The complete opposite of the "twitter whores", these are the prude twitter users (not that there’s anything wrong with it) that are very selective of who they follow.
I don’t think one type of follower is any better then the other. As I said, these are just my observations. Everyone has a different purpose, goal and style when it comes to twittering. I’m just curious what yours is.
Think I missed a twitter type? Don’t fall into one of those categories? Please let me know in the comments!
New to Twitter? Check out 3 Twitter Tips for Twitter #newbies