Do you think it is better to have your own Domain Name for your blog, rather than using something like Blogger? What are the benefits and drawbacks?
First, I have to tell ya. When I read your email I didn’t glance at the name. I thought it was a great question so I started to pull some research and examples to use in my response. As I sat down to write I realized I picked YOUR site as an example of a successful site that doesn’t have a domain name not realizing you asked the question! What does that tell ya? :)
In all seriousness, this is a great question. Personally I do think it’s better to have your own domain name if you have professional goals for your blog but I don’t think it’s a deal breaker either.
Benefits of a Personal Domain Name
- If you decide to move your blog, upgrade, transfer or even get "bought out" (if that’s your goal) you have one less thing to worry about. With a simple edit to your domain account you can point your readers to your new home.
- If your goal is to be a respected blogger and influencer in your niche then nothing beats having your own domain name. What would you rather have on your business card YourName.com or YourName.Blogspot.com?
- One thing I learned about blogging is you can never predict the future. I started with a static site, moved to self-hosted WordPress, lost my data, moved the Blogger then back to WordPress. The whole time using the same domain name (until I decided to change it anyway.) Not being tied to your blogging platform is invaluable.
Drawbacks of Personal Domain Name
- Added Expense
- New bloggers genuinely don’t have start up equity. Let’s face it some of the appeal of blogging is you can do it totally free. Buying a domain name does add an expense, albeit small.
- Another Technical Thing to Learn/Manage
- Blogging can be a bit overwhelming for those with no technical background. Now you have a Domain to manage, another account to create, more terminology to learn and more anxiety to be had. :) In reality it’s not that difficult but it does a add a level of confusion for those that haven’t done it.
Being a web geek I’ve been buying domain names forever. I also started blogging on my own platform, so I really didn’t have a choice but to do so. When I moved to a special blog for my Weight Loss journey I immediately went with a self-hosted solution, so again, I didn’t really have a choice. Plus I liked the idea of having an identity even though at the time I didn’t have any professional blogging aspirations.
I think it’s important to note that people blog for different reasons. I’ve created a community for those that want to blog in a social environment to help reach goals. In that situation a personalized domain name may be overkill. Others may want an independent identity for different reasons. It’s really a personal decision.
As with anything there are pro/cons on each side but I think it’s important to note that either way you can take the blog as far as you want to, personal domain name or not. Just look at Kalyn or Seth. I consider both these bloggers very successful and neither uses a personal domain name.
What are your thoughts? Do you have a personal Domain Name? Do you want one? Do you care? :)