T-5 days until the big day. I’m nervous and excited as I prepare for my very first Thanksgiving. I’m cooking for 10 and it’s time to get ready. I’m off this morning to my local wholesale club to start stocking up!
I was about to site down and make a list and then I thought… Hmmmm? I might as well share it with you guys. It always helps me when to write all my thoughts out anyway, so why not? plus you can give me all your wonderful advice and tips as I’m sure I forgot something! :~)
a traditional Thanksgiving with a few tweaks keeping health and waistlines in mind.
- Turkey (DUH?!?) – I’m going with a 22 pounder I think. We LOVE leftovers.
- Stuffing – Click here to see my stuffing recipe. I’m going triple it.
- Mashed Potatoes – Click here to see my mashed potato recipe. I’m making tons, I have potoatoe people in this faimily.
- Sweet Potatoes – Click here to see my idea to replace candied sweet potatoes.
- Corn – Just your run of the mill bag of frozen corn, cooked in the microwave. No butter! People can add their own.
- Roasted Asparagus – Click here to see the recipe I’ll be using. This is my replacement for green bean casserole (which I never liked anyway).
- Cranberry sauce – We’re canned jelly kind of people and I love it! :~)
- Rolls – I’m going with 1 package reduced fat crescents and one traditional dinner rolls.
Ummmm I think that’s it?!?! No? What am I missing?
I think the meal is covered. For the rest of the day I’m going with a HUGE vegetable tray. Some cheese and whole wheat crackers (triscuits I think), with turkey pepperoni and a tray of pickles, olives and things. I’m also thinking of making some soup, not sure if I will but if I do it’ll definitely be my homemade lentil, click here to check it out.
As for the desserts… well I’m leaving that up to the family. Mom’s making a pumpkin roll and I’m sure my Uncles will bring fresh Italian cookies from New York. Ohhh how I love/hate them! LOL
That’s it. I’m not that worried about the cooking. I’m more worried about my eating! LOL I’ve been feeling a bit out of control lately. I haven’t food journaled in a while and I’ve been…. ummmm… how do I say it….. unmotivated? Yes ladies and gentleman it happens to ME TOO! ;~) I think it’s a combination of the cold weather and the stress of the holidays. I’m trying REAL hard to ward off the whole "Ohhh !#$&@ it, I’ll just be good after the holiday season" feeling. I know it’s stupid but boy, it’s a hard feeling to fight!
But… I’m TOTALLY fighting it! I can either let one day be one day, or I can turn it into 6 weeks. Hummmmm I wonder how much weight I can gain in 1 day versus the 6 weeks?? Yeah, I think I’ll do my best to make the best choices I can through this whole holiday season. She says as she repeats to hereslf… It’s not about perfection… It’s not about perfection. :~)
We can do it? Right? RIGHT?
Of course we can. I’ve done it before. It’s not that hard. You just have to remember what your goals are and what’s important to you.
OK, so…. what am I missing for the big turkey day? Do you have any ideas to share?