LINKS/ARTICLES

Thursday Thoughts VII

thursday thoughts

I went to post, realizing I totally forgot an intro! Oh well, I’m jumping right in…

• With all this Food Network Star talk I set off to test my cooking knowledge. LOL I’m not sure I have what it takes BUT I was happy to find out I know quite a few essential kitchen techniques. What a great and informative post, by the way. The videos were clear, the write ups descriptive and I loved the illustrations.
  • Another thing we talked about this week was Charlie’s Book. It got me thinking about men and how I totally disrespected their weight loss struggles. So I thought I’d spread some link love to some of the guys in the weight loss blogosphere like, Mr. Meltdown, John, Rob and Israel all men, all struggling, all at different stages on the journey.
  • The next little link nugget came from TwinToddlersDad of Little Stomaks. Check out his post about Food Labels in the UK. The idea is to color code the nutritional information so we can see immediately if the levels of fat, sugars, salt and so on are "Green", "Yellow", or "Red". I don’t know about you, but I think this is genius! Anyone work for the FDA? Can we get this on the agenda? :~)
  • Another thing I thought genius…. Hally left a comment on GreenLiteBites and I checkout her blog. She has a cloth diaper touring the world and I think it’s AWESOME! I’m going to admit, I was a disposable girl myself. *No lectures, PLEASE* I kind of wish someone sent me a cloth diaper with instructions. I may have changed my ways!
  • I received a plea from MaryB on BlogToLose. She’s worried that a lot of you don’t know about our forums, and I think she’s right! So I gave them a bit of a facelift, Took some advice from Stacey, added a food finds category and I’m mentioning it now. Here’s the deal for those of you who may not know. BlogToLose is the community I set up for those that want to find and give support on their weight loss journies. The name is a bit of a misnomer because you don’t actually have to blog unless you want to. You can sign up, leave comments for others blogs, participate in the forums and chat, even find and start your own sub groups. The idea started because I wanted to give people an easy way to blog and find each other but it’s grown to so much more. So if you haven’t already, please check it out and join me on the forums and chats!
  • Ok, since I’m already talking about my own sites, I’ll mention what happened this week on GreenLiteBites. (like that transition? :~P) Earlier this week I whipped up a tasty, quick lunch with Ramen noodles again. Sometimes I love when I run out of food in the house! I also posted about bugler and how I used it yesterday in an idea I had for Fried Bulgur with Peas and Pomegranate. The pomegranate came from the hard labor of the toddler, as I put him to work in this weeks video, eating pomegranate. And finally, I had to use canned pumpkin for something, it IS october after all! So I whipped up some pumpkin pie oatmeal.
  • OH! Here’s some more self advertising! :~) I FINALLY launched a simple store from some logo t-shirts. It’s not that extravagant but I have to start somewhere. I have tons more ideas but for now, I posted simple logos and some cute "the toddler" and "the husband" shirts. The cool thing, everything is completely customizable, so if you want to add your own text or graphics, feel free! Even change the style of shirt!
  • Other news… STILL working on my last 2 giveaways, STILL have to edit my second video session from last friday but I do feel as if I accomplished something this week. What? I’m not quite sure. Tonight is pumpkin carving night, tomorrow I have a wedding (don’t ask), my in-laws are coming in, my house is a mess, and I’m having a get together for the Notre Dame/Pitt game on Sunday where I will be cooking for 6 plus the toddler. Good times! Always an adventure! I better sign off! :~)

SMK

October 30, 2008

Busy Busy Busy! I love the shirt designs – the one with the broccolli is my favorite!

I also don’t usually respect weightloss struggles that men have. But Charlie’s blog has definitely started to change that.

Made your chocolate pumpkin muffins last night and brought them to work today. I won’t have one though because I did put icing and a piece of candy corn on each of them. At least my coworkers will be eating a healthier cupcake without even knowing it – Bwahahaha. And trust me, we can always use some healthier snacks around here.

Adriana

October 30, 2008

I love the simple store! Especially the aprons – have you thought about doing a Green colored apron? Perfect for the theme…

WannaBeSkinny

October 30, 2008

I love the shirts “the toddler” and “the husband”. Halarious.

I was thinking “the child” would be good for the older ones but I’m sure my son would have nothing to do with it. =)

Check out WannaBeSkinnys last blog post..It’s weigh in day!

Liz

October 30, 2008

Another weight-loss guy who’s definitely worth a mention is Brian Douglas, who recently hit the 100-pounds-lost mark! I believe he’s a Blog to Lose-r too :).

Check out Lizs last blog post..Manga (hint: it’s not a fruit)

Matt

October 30, 2008

Honestly ladies, it does bug us that we don’t get as much respect from some of you. I do know that our metabolisms are set up differently, but I would say that most men who have lost a fair amount of weight and kept it off have struggled to do so. I know that this process is a struggle for me and I am only halfway home.

I think that the blogging weight loss community is just awesome and it is great that we can all learn from one another.

OK enough about all that.

Hey Roni – That game is on Saturday, not Sunday. You probably already knew that but I would hate for you to be late in your preparations.

Check out Matts last blog post..Huh. Isn’t that strange

Sandy

Hey Roni!

What do you MEAN you don’t know exactly WHAT you have accomplished this week. Just for starters–I had the pumpkin pie oatmeal for breafast–MMMM!!! I am, as I speak, eating the Ramen Noodle chili for lunch–another MMMMM! And I LOVE that broccoli t-shirt and plan to order one as soon as I can set aside a minute to do it! I don’t know about your own life, but you certainly have accomplished a lot in mine! :)

Tricia

October 30, 2008

Thanks Roni for all you do. I am definitely going to order a T-shirt. I love the broccoli one. I am wondering if the husband will wear “the husband” shirt. ha ha Great idea!

christine

October 30, 2008

love the t-shirts. I don’t know how you do it all. You are a lot younger than I am but still….I wish I had your energy….Keep up the great work!

Annette

October 30, 2008

sounds like you are going to be one busy lady the next few days ;)

I’m checking out the shirts now! Have fun Roni and remember to stay present even in the busy days ahead ;)

Check out Annettes last blog post..Healthy Role Model~~~~ 6 Months Continued

Michele D

October 30, 2008

love the shirts too…didn’t see that you can customize them more…I was thinking the web address for BTL and GLB should be included in the graphic…

I am still finding that this CommentLuv thing links the wrong page to me…Roni can you help???

also…I think a green apron would be great too!

Check out Michele Ds last blog post..Michelle

MaryB

October 30, 2008

My name in lights!! Thanks Roni, the updated forum looks great!

Check out MaryBs last blog post..Charlie Hills

Laura Brandon

October 30, 2008

the shirts are so cute! love it!

Check out Laura Brandons last blog post..Another Off Week

Jane

October 30, 2008

I love the shirts! My favorite is the broccoli one.

Check out Janes last blog post..Chocolate and I Had a HUGE Fight . . .

giyen

October 30, 2008

Oh my goodness, i am behind in blog reading. I just saw that you’re video was up on the food network site. I just wanted to say – GO GIRL!!!!

gonna check the video out now but i am totally excited.

g

Christy

October 31, 2008

I am off to check out those t-shirts!! Woohoo!

Nina

November 3, 2008

Hi there!

Great stuff and so much great work! I’d love to have one with the broccoli, but I would actually love it on navy, would that be possible? I know I am a bit like Sally of Harry and Sally – you know, “On the side” – so sorry about that!

That actually makes me think of another “QOTW”: “To the (wo)men like Roni who actually “did it”: I know that many people who achieved their goal weight and actually maintained it describe a much more active lifestyle and that they have become different persons, i.e. more active, productive, etc. How does that transition happen? And does it happen to anyone of you, or are some of you exactly the same as before concerning activity/productivity/etc.?”

And I don’t actually have a problem with men and weight loss as long as they are not the ones teasing bigger women. I have met a lot of bigger men (including my dad) who think bigger women are unattractive, and they were actually offended when I told them to have a closer look at themselves. And then, to my surprise, some of them even started to open up and tell me about problems they had with themselves. So I think they were actually projecting their own problems on the women they found unattractive. I can understand what they mean, but I cannot accept it.

Don’t get me wrong, size does not count for me, I want to fall in love with the right person, no matter if he is big or thin. I really mean that. But I really cannot tune into the thin=attractive thing, and I cannot help confronting people who have an opinion before they look at themselves first. There may be advantages about a healthy weight range, but attractiveness is not necessarily one of them.

Apart from that, men sometimes have different reasons for weight gain or motivations for weight loss I find harder to understand, but I think this might be the same the other way round.

Love,
    Nina

Mr. Meltdown

May 13, 2010

Thanks Roni for supporting all of us guys on this crazy weight loss struggle. It is people like you that gives me energy and strength to to continue on my fat loss journey publicly. You my friend are one of the good ones and I am thankful for real bloggers like you. :)