FOOD JOURNALS

6 weeks to 6 Miles

As of tomorrow I’ll have exactly 6 weeks before the Baltimore Marathon. Six weeks to get into shape to run 6 miles. SIX MILES!

I’m more then nervous, especially considering I’ve never run over three miles. So starting tomorrow my training begins. My plan is to focus on time, not distant because when I think of the milage it seems i-m-p-o-s-s-i-b-l-e.

• Week 1 – 3 x 35 minute runs
  • Week 2 – 3 x 40 minute runs
  • Week 3 – 3 x 45 minute runs
  • Week 4 – 3 1 x 50 minute runs + 2 shorter runs
  • Week 5 – 3 1 x 55 minute runs + 2 shorter runs
  • Week 6 – 3 1 x 60 minute run early in the week

I feel semi-comfortable with a 30 minute run. I say semi because it tough for me but I can normally do just about 3 miles in 30 minutes.

In addition to the running I’ll be weight training and taking boot camp classes. I tend to take my weight training informally (even though I love it) alternating upper and lower body when I make it to the gym with a loose goal of 3 sessions a week.

I’m going to be one active girl! Honestly, I’m looking forward to this. I feel like I found such an outlet and having this event on the horizon is just what I need. Gosh I’m just so darn results orientated! I just need a GOAL. :~)

Other then that master plan I came up (it pretty simple isn’t it?) I had an alright day. Starting off with a fabulous workout, then pizza for lunch, a trip to the library with the toddler, a nice home cooked dinner and a movie with the husband with NO SNACKING besides some watermelon. Actually now that I think of it, it was a great day! I’m not really sure where my afternoon funk came from but I cured it with a family walk.

So here’s my food journal, I’m heading to bed!

Morning add on: I keep forgetting to tell you, I updated my tummy page with pictures that were taken 2 months post op.

Food Points
banana 2
McDonald’s cone (it’s the toddler and I’s post gym tradition) 3
Sauce-less Personal Pizza with a side of baby carrots 6
1/2 of the toddlers Sauce-less Personal Pizza 3
Salmon cooked with my fish spice, sauteed sugar snap peas and a whole grain noodle side (I also had 1 Crispy Baked Parmesan Crusted Tilapia fillet that I made for the toddler) 13
watermelon 1
Total : 28
Activity
2 mile run (didn’t have the Nike+ :~( – Ab workout,and weights (upper body – chest, shoulders biceps, triceps, back) AND and long after dinner family walk pulling a 40lb toddler in a wagon.

Want a food journal like this for your blog? Try the table generator.

melissa

August 23, 2008

Time is definitely more important than distance. As long as you put in the time on your feet, you will be more than prepared on race day, plus you will naturally run faster and easier during the race because of the energy and other runners. Looks like a great plan!

Amanda

August 23, 2008

You can do it! I’m so excited for you! *happy dance* You’ll be GREAT! :)

Miz

August 23, 2008

happy run day!

Annette

August 23, 2008

Good luck with the training! I bet it’s nice to have a goal to work towards :)

RooBabs

August 23, 2008

Roni, this plan looks great, and I totally agree with Melissa. You can do it, no problem. I’m excited for you, and I’ll be cheering you on in spirit.

Sounds like you had a fantastic day! And your pictures look so good (no more “mini-muffin top”). I’m so glad that you’re happy with the results, because that’s what really matters.

Kate

August 23, 2008

You can do it girl! I was a complete non-runner like you, and my longest run so far has been 6 miles! I know you can do it.

Elaine

August 23, 2008

Roni-

I’m certainly no expert on running, but I would like to suggest that you look into doing a “taper” week at the end of your training. During the taper, you would either not run at all or run very minimally (20 minutes or so). This allows your muscles to heal and glycogen stores to go up, allowing for a better run on race day. It does seem counterintuitive, but it’s well supported with science. You can check out runnersworld.com for more information.

I really want you to do the best ever at this race and I think a taper week might help!

Elaine

LMG

August 23, 2008

Hi Roni!

Fantastic!!! You can do this! Having done this myself before, I would recommend modifying your plan slightly. If you cut back a bit on two of your runs and then lengthen one run per week, it will help your muscles get adjusted to greater distance more efficiently. For example, in week one do two 30-minute runs and one 40-minute run. Sometimes it’s easier to get through the week as well knowing you have only one long run. :)

August 23, 2008

Elaine – You know, I thought of that that! Thanks for the tip I’m going to look into it!

August 23, 2008

LMG – That’s a great idea! I love little ways to trick my brain!

Krista

August 24, 2008

Hi Roni!

You’re updated picture’s look great! A tummy tuck is something I’m seriously considering for the winter (that way I’m good to go next summer!)

Good luck with your race! I think that you’re on the right track concentrating on time versus distance…..I always feel like I’ve accomplished more when I say I’ve run for 30mins straight rather than 3 miles!

You’re a true inspiration……keep up the fantastic work!

Krista

Lindsay

August 25, 2008

Hi Roni,
    I love your site! I read your post a while ago about running in the Baltimore marathon, and I think that’s awesome. I’ve been running for a few years, distances from 5K up to my first half marathon last October, and when I read your proposed training schedule, I thought I might offer some advice: I generally use Hal Higdon’s training schedules for my runs. He’s an expert and he has many different training programs based on different ability levels and different distances. Since you’re comfortable with 30-40 minutes of running at this point, I thought you might be interested in his 10K training program for novices, but obviously you would start at the “6 weeks to go” point. http://www.halhigdon.com/10ktraining/10knovice.htm I personally think your training schedule is a bit aggressive – the theory is that you only need one “long run” per week (i.e. 50-60 minutes at a slower pace – you’re going for distance here, not so much for speed) and the other runs you do during the week should be either shorter and faster or some sort of interval/hill training, with even a mixture of cross training (i.e. anything besides running) in there too – like bootcamp! I think if you shoot for 3×60 minutes in the week before your marathon, you’re going to have a hard time during the marathon. This is just my experience, and if you spend some time on Hal Higdon’s page or others like it, you’ll likely see similar advice. But of course, you are very in tune with your own body, and listening to what it tells you is half the battle. Good luck with your run!!

August 25, 2008

Lindsay – Thank you so much for the link! I am kind of going at this my own way and I appreciate any and all tips!! You are right, it is a little aggressive at the end. I took a more programmed approach but it may not be the most logical. I’m going to edit my goals a bit!

Laura N

August 26, 2008

Hey Roni! Good luck building up to 6! You are going to get there easily.

I follow Hal Higdon’s plans for running, too. I think he has a common sense approach to running, and also allows for beginner, intermeidate, advanced. So, hopefully you’ll find some help there. I’m using his half marathon intermediate plan for my October half.

6 miles is seriously going to be an easy run for you before long. WHY DO I UTTER SUCH BLASPHEMY, you ask? Because I’ve been there. I ran my first 5k in September 2007. I ran my first Half Marathon in May 2008. The amount of distance your body–esp. YOUR fit, lean body–can add quickly is unbelievable. And when you LOVE running as much as you clearly do, it’s going to come easily. Then long runs won’t seem long any longer. And you’ll want more.

Also? I don’t even reach a real runner’s high until I pass 5 miles. From your posts about running, seems like you are getting there quicker than me (LOL). But something seriously fun starts happening after you’ve been hitting the pavement for over 50 minutes. Just you wait…. =)

OK, I’m off to run 5. Have fun and stay healthy out there!