This weeks question is the direct result of my pizza incident yesterday. Although I’ve been considering this topic for awhile.
I think there are a few different reasons why we eat. That sounds stupid, but really let’s things about what situations cause us to put food in our mouth.
- We are actually hungry
- This is a given, of course. And I think we really know when our bodies need food. Stomach growling, low energy, emptness.
- Let’s see, it’s someone’s birthday… we eat cake. Graduation? More cake. Anniversary? Go out to dinner. Holiday? Forgettabout. It seems that an easy way to celebrate any event involves food.
- Yup, sometimes there is just thing else to do but eat.
- Peer Pressure
- I’m eating so you should be too!
- Food comforts a lot of us.
- Ohhh we’ve all done it. The smell of bread from a bakery or my personal demon, Cinnabon!
I could go on and on. It’s seems we may turn to food for many reasons besides just being hungry.
For me stress definitely causes overeating. I used to think I was an “emotional” eater but when I really look back at times I shove food in my mouth it’s normally at times I’m feeling overwhelmed, overworked, under appreciated and overall stressed out! For example I find myself shoving bread in my mouth when the toddler is acting up at a restaurant or scoffing down pizza when I have just too many tasks on my plate. I truly think this is the last hurdle I need to overcome.
So how about you? What causes you to eat? Or overeat for that matter.