- Blog Topics
You may have seen these little gems in your grocery store or farm stands. For years I just passed them up not know how to use them or even what they were. Then last year I finally got up enough nerve (why this was hard I’ll never know) to ask the farm stand women what the heck they were. She said, “oh they are Patty Pans! Just a variety of summer squash, you can use them much like zucchini” Hmpf, I thought, that wasn’t so bad. So I came home and made my Roni’s All Purpose Veggie Filling with them and it came out awesome.
Well I saw them again today at the farm stand and this time I confidently said, “May I have a few of those Patty Pans, please” with a big smile on my face. :~D
Moral of the story, just ask! ;~) In all seriousness you can use them much like zucchini but they have a slightly sweeter and even a nutty flavor, which can be good, better even in some recipes that call for zucchini. Today I made Zucchini Pancakes with them. The patty’s didn’t have as much moisture as the zucchini, so I didn’t bother straining them and the cakes were delicious.
If you want a bit more info I found this site and there is a little write up wikipedia. Honestly, I really can’t find that much info about them. Anyone out there big Patty Pan fans? How do you use them?
I’ve been doing this a looong time…
- Wednesday Weigh In: Selling Ourselves Short
- Obesity Awareness: Are We Numb?
- A Relaxing Sensational Sunday
- Should Strong be the New Skinny?
- Thirteen Thursday Thoughts
- Wednesday Weigh In: The Daily Cycle
- VitaCake ‘Recipe’ Contest Winners Announced!
- Baltimore Color Run from The Eyes of The 7-Year-Old
- Scenes from my Sensational Mother's Day Sunday
- Weekend Quote: Comfort Zone
- This Just in...
- A Post-Vacation Weigh In
- 20 Fun Yogurt Topping Ideas
- Home on this Sensational Sunday!
- Weekend Quote: Missing Happiness
- Running on Vacation
- A Pre-Vacation Wednesday Weigh In
- So, You Want to Run a Tough Mudder?
- What a Weekend!
- Weekend Quote: Right Not To Care
- Note to Self...
- Wednesday Weigh In: Just 1 Variable
- Ask Roni: Movie Snacks, Paleo, Finding Time, Maintenance, My Inspiration.
- Post Event Blah
- 2 Days-2 Tough Mudders-2 Minutes
- Women, Men and Beauty. I needed a good laugh.
- Does Anyone Mind if I Just Let My Brain Dump?
- Wednesday Weigh In: GOOOOOAAAAALLLL!
- My Heart Hurts
- Celebrating Progress
Roni started this blog in '05 to journal her weight loss. 70lbs later, she's committed to living a conscious, healthy life and hopes to inspire others along the way. Read more on the about page.
Like the new look of Roni’s Weigh?
Check out PageLines WordPress Themes. Roni's Weigh is built on premium theme PlatformPro.