FOOD FINDS

Fiber One Chewy Bars

I originally posted this food find on on February 13th, 2007 but lost it in the crash. I salvaged the post from google cache and finally had time to repost it. The comments alone are worth it. Reading them just crack me up!

Fiber One Chew BarsOK OK Already! I have gotten more emails about this product then any other and I finally got a chance to try them.  Well let me tell you, they lived up to the great reputation!   I had an oats and chocolate on the way home from the grocery store and it was delicious. Chewy, sweet and really filling!  All that for only 2 points a piece!

I’ll be carrying a new bar in my bag.  :)

Update 3/2010: I don’t buy them much anymore for a couple of reason one of them being what many people have expressed in the comments below.. you gotta read them for yourself. LMAO

However, to prevent the massive amounts of spam I was receiving I have turned off comments on any post older than 5 days old. If you'd like to leave me a note regarding this post or anything really try me on twitter (@RoniNoone,) my Facebook page, or even IG (@RoniNoone) I'm so sorry for the inconvenience. I never thought I'd have to do this but it's gotten way out of hand and comment management has become simply too time consuming to manage.

There are 102 comments so far.

August 24, 2007

These were the 43 Original Responses to “Fiber One Chewy Bars” – I almost lost them in the crash but I’m glad i salvaged them, they are just too funny!

on 14 Feb 2007 at 2:55 am1 stephanie

so i also loove love lovve these bars. but i found that because they are so high in carbs and sugar they really didnt keep me satisfied. it makes me wonder if its really possible for them to be 35% of your DV fiber.

i found that whenever i ate them for breakfast with an apple, i was hungrier the entire day and ate more!

so they are 2 points but i dont suggest eating them on an empty stomach.

ur site is amazing. i love your tips and calculators and your blog!

on 14 Feb 2007 at 10:07 am2 Tammy

I found these bars about a week ago. They are great! I like to have one as a snack with a cup of hot tea. I bought the oats and peanutbutter ones also but haven’t tried them yet. If they are anywhere near as good as the oats and chocolate version, I won’t be disappointed. :)

on 14 Feb 2007 at 11:46 am3 April

I tried the peanut butter yesterday & they are just as good.

on 15 Feb 2007 at 3:39 pm4 Kimberly

The peanut butter ones are 3 points.

on 15 Feb 2007 at 9:21 pm5 roni

Thanks! I didn’t check all the flavors!

on 19 Feb 2007 at 4:26 pm6 Liv

My husband and I love these, and my toddler thinks they are choc chip rice krispy treats — a great way to get a little guy a lot of fiber.

on 21 Feb 2007 at 8:07 pm7 Amy

I keep figuring the oats and chocolate to be 3 points! Am I wrong?

on 21 Feb 2007 at 8:36 pm8 roni

Amy – I think you are right. I must have been feeling a bit generous when I wrote that. They are closer to 2.5 and if you round up like I then 3 is a better bet.

Thanks!

on 24 Feb 2007 at 6:40 pm9 Jeanette

Oh, these are so good. I was so surprised to find how chocolatey they are. Great to satisfy a choco craving.

on 01 Mar 2007 at 10:06 am10 Cyndy

Has anyone experienced excess bloating and gas after eating the bars? I did not know if the large amount of fiber would cause these side effects. I love the taste ! Just don’t care for the aftermath. Also have I mentioned how much I love this site, thanks for all your hard work you put into it, Roni.

on 01 Mar 2007 at 10:48 am11 Jeanette

I used my WW slide points calculator and it’s 2 points…right in the middle.

on 03 Mar 2007 at 5:39 pm12 Jessica

Cyndy — my sister and I noticed this, too. The bars are great, but in my honest opinion, they are not worth the aftermath… definitely waaay too much fiber!

on 05 Mar 2007 at 11:19 am13 Lisa

I experienced gas with painful cramps after eating one of these bars as well. I don’t think it’s the large amount of fiber in general that’s giving people trouble, it’s the KIND of fiber. I didn’t really look too closely at the label at first. Because FiberOne gets its fiber from wheat and corn bran, I figured the bars would too. But the main ingredient in the bars is chicory root extract, aka inulin. It’s the same thing that’s in Fibersure. I think alot of people have trouble with that one. I’m also a bit concerned over what “Shellac” might be, exactly….and isn’t ethanol something I’m supposed to put in my CAR? These were tasty, but now I’m frightened! :-)

–Lisa

on 05 Mar 2007 at 12:33 pm14 Larissa

I just saw that our vending machine at work carries these. Now I wish I read some of these posts before I devoured the oats & chocolate bar! It was sooo good… but I have a client coming in to my office in a half hour, so I’m really hoping I don’t get really gassy or anything while he’s here! LOL!

on 07 Mar 2007 at 1:18 pm15 Kelley

I love these..discovered them over the weekend. I bought the chocolate and oats, like eating a candy bar. If you’re worried about the effects of the fiber, eat them at home in the evening. I use them for my dessert. Very satisfying. I just bought the peanut butter ones. They are also very good but I like the chocolate ones better.

on 07 Mar 2007 at 10:58 pm16 Dalinda

I tried these granola bars after reading about them on your website. They are so good!! Unlike most portion controlled snacks, it does not make me crave more sugar. I don’t know if it is the high fiber content or what, but they satisfy me, and don’t leave me craving sweets. They are a life saver for someone who has a terrible sweet tooth like myself…. Thank you so much for the information. I love your website…..

on 13 Mar 2007 at 7:50 am17 Mike

Love the taste and they keep me very full. Unfortunately, they cause so much gas that my wife and I refer to them as Fart Bars. Some of this gas is very painful. My wife who is not prone to gas, even on her regular (extreme) high fiber diet, has excessive and uncomfortable gas. Be careful, especially if you have one before work!

on 18 Mar 2007 at 10:54 am18 Christina

I agree with the gas problem with these bars. I just about ran the family out of the house. It was truly embarrasing!! The bars are delicious but make sure you are alone after eating one.

on 19 Mar 2007 at 8:52 am19 Clara

I agree with these being SO yummy, but the description of these being “Fart Bars” is so true! I didn’t get the pain or bloating, but oh my was I gassy. They are so worth it, so I think I’ll just stick to them on the weekends and evenings.

on 23 Mar 2007 at 2:44 pm20 Michelle

oh my goodness i could not figure out what was wrong with my stomach…..ouch…………they are good though….

on 24 Mar 2007 at 6:26 pm21 Carrie

Ok, well do not eat these bars and go to Busch Gardens. I had horrible stomach things going on and I have now visited every bathroom in Italy, Germany and France. I also was worn out from this all day and we came home early and I am still feeling it. I was beginning to think the green tea I drink at work was doing it – but this was it I guess. They are good, but I am done with ‘em!

on 24 Mar 2007 at 9:01 pm22 Debbie

I am so sad that something this tasty has such awful side effects. I was convinced that there was some kind of hidden sugar alcohol in the bars but maybe it’s the type of fiber. I was not fit for human company after eating these bars! Why oh why!!!!

on 25 Mar 2007 at 8:40 am23 Michelle

I took some gas x after and was fine….I think if you just eat one a day you will be alright….i ate 2 the day i had the pains and 1 the next day and was fine….these are yummy

on 27 Mar 2007 at 10:28 am24 Hope

I read the reviews on these bars out of curiosity. I live in Canada and this product in not available here. I do, however, live fairly close to the Maine border and it is common for us take shopping excursions to the US. It is useful to know what’s available in the US before going so I know what to look for (not a lot of weight Watchers products sold here yet – we do get the bread, cakes and frozen entrees). Anyhow, my point was I laughed my head off reading these reviews! I will definitely get these bars the next time I cross the boarder – if nothing else they will be a great gag to give to my fellow WW co-workers!

on 30 Mar 2007 at 12:06 pm25 Jenni

I found these yesterday while desperately searching for something chocolate that wasn’t going to ruin my points for the day.

I was SO surprised at how delicious they are! And for only 2 points, how can you resist?

I’ve tried lots of other granola/cereal/snack bars that are also 2 points and these take the cake!

I’m looking forward to trying the oats & peanut butter!

on 11 Apr 2007 at 3:54 pm26 mar

beware – these contain high fructose corn syrup

on 13 Apr 2007 at 11:34 pm27 Dave

I have tried both the peanut butter and chocolate chip flavors – and theyboth taste great. I do have a couple of concerns. The main one is with “chicory root extract” as the first ingredient followed by cocolate chips containing “cocoa butter” “milk fat” and “hydrogenated coconut oil”. All of these chocolate chip ingredients are high in saturated fats (and there are a bunch of them in there!). How can the saturated fat content be only 1.5 grams on the chocolate chip version? Something isn’t right here. I’d love to see an independent analysis firm get ahold of these. Stomach cramps from the high inulin fiber (chicory root extract), saturated fat contents not agreeing with stats, and sugar, high maltose corn syrup, and high fructose corn syrup on the label! Wake up General Mills – we are not totally stupid. An old boot would taste good with added sugar and heart-clogging fats. There are much better choices out there. In particular, the Kashi TLC bar line is good (although not sickeningly sweet as the Fiber One) and they have good label stats.

on 17 Apr 2007 at 12:47 pm28 Melissa

If you’re looking to lose weight (which I assume people on WW are), you’ll probably want to avoid this product since it’s got high fructose corn syrup in it. Very unhealthy and contributes to weight gain.

on 20 Apr 2007 at 3:48 pm29 Kelly

I love the taste of these bars too–best tasting ever for me. Yet I too have discovered they cause me to be gassy-crampy. And it’s not the inulin or the fiber, it’s the hidden sugar alcohol–high maltose corn syrup. I tried many of the low carb bars and ice creams when they hit the market a couple years back, and these usually listed sugar alcohol on the label, usually in the form of maltitol. I had bad pains from these products and decided they were not worth the pain to include in my diet. I do love the taste of these bars, and I do eat them sparingly at this point (and when I’m likely to be alone!). I love how much fiber they have but wish they had more protein. Other bars I enjoy are the Odwalla peanut chip and some of the Larabars

on 01 May 2007 at 2:56 pm30 Corie

I just finished my first (& last) box of these. Someone at WW meeting had recommended them. I try to always get 5-8 servings of fruits & veggies a day which includes a lot of beans. Also, I use flax seed every day in my oatmeal or yogurt/berry mix. I NEVER have gas problems. But I thought maybe I wasn’t getting enough fiber, so I tried these. Man, it’s been an uncomfortable five days. I’ve been eating one each morning about 5:30am before I go to the gym to do a group weightlifting class followed by swimming! I can barely make it home before I have to go to the bathroom, and the gas lasts all day. Plus, I’m spending the last part of my workout time just trying not to stink up the place! I just had my thyroid meds changed last week since my dose wasn’t strong enough. I thought maybe that was what was doing this. Then I checked the ingredient box on these things & saw the chicory root extract as first ingredient. I knew that had to be it. I don’t care how good these taste; there are other ways to get the fiber. I, too, was shocked at the ingredient list & couldn’t believe there were no transfats when I saw the “hydrogenated” coconut oil. I thought my pre-workout banana gave me gas!

on 03 May 2007 at 1:40 pm31 My life…in a blog! » Product Review(s)

[…] Everyone has been raving about these All Bran bars so I had to try them. Personally, I thought they were kinda blah. They were okay, but after having the Fiber One Bars, these were just okay. […]

on 09 May 2007 at 2:53 pm33 Rebecca

Fiber One Bars taste pretty good, but aren’t very nutritious. I recommend GNU Flavor & Fiber Bars. Each bar is only 130 calories and contains 12 grams of Fiber. That’s 50% the daily value of fiber! They contain no artifical flavors and no saturated fat. Check them out at www.GnuFoods.com. They are available in 4 different flavors. They are delicious..(and won’t cause any stomach problems!)

on 09 May 2007 at 4:15 pm34 Marilyn

I never laughed so hard reading the comments on these bars……but I’m not buying any. I had a lot of the same problems with drinking the fruit 2 0 flavored waters. I do agree with Rebecca….the GNU bars are very good without the added cramps and gas.

on 11 May 2007 at 4:37 am35 Karebear

I had a super busy day today and ate three of these bars. I now feel like dying! This is as awful as when I ingested some bad clams. I have had terrible gas today and the awful stomach pains hit me just as it was time to go to bed. I was up at 2:30am to vomit by the force of my uncontrollable stomach contractions and now an hour later I still feel like death warmed over with an urge to visit the bathroom. Maybe I should just curl up on the bath rug waiting. NEVER eat three of these bars in one day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

on 16 May 2007 at 9:14 am36 Molly

Oh my goodness I am so happy I found this info.. I am 34 weeks pregnant and trying to be healthy and just LOVED the taste of these bars but my stomach got soooo painful after eating them I had to go home from work. Holy Gas and Stomach cramps… I eat a fairly balanced diet and have never had problems with fiber until I tried these!

I thought I was going crazy by thinking they were causing the stomach pains! I think I will stear clear of Chicory root in future!

Maybe if I go overdue these can become one of those items that induces labor!!

on 24 May 2007 at 10:22 pm37 Day by Day… » Blog Archive » do i need a title?

[…] I read Roni’s post on Fiber One Bars at work today and couldn’t stop laughing! I love eating these bars! I usually eat one for breakfast or one for a snack. I have had some tummy trouble and gassiness, but not as bad as some people have had. The replies were cracking me up! […]

on 25 May 2007 at 8:17 am38 Christine

I bought a box of these and thought they were delicious, but it’s something I would consider as a dessert. Now reading all these responses, I don’t want to eat another one!

I looked up the NI for the Kashi bars and my favorites – TLC Honey Almond Flax and Trail Mix are also only 2 points – all without any processed junk in it.

on 31 May 2007 at 11:06 am39 Mary

I LOVE THESE BARS! I haven’t had any problems (knock on wood) … although they make my stomach make crazy noises. Maybe just don’t STUFF yourself on them.

on 10 Jun 2007 at 2:41 am40 Sheri

I have never experienced such pain from cramping in my lower intestinal area as I did with these bars. I won’t be eating them any more. At first I thought I pulled a stomach muscle or that my ovaries were swollen. But after realizing it came about 1/2 hour after I ate the bars, it’s not worth it. And eating it at night, I had cramping all night long. I’ll get my fiber elsewhere.

on 10 Jun 2007 at 1:17 pm41 TMG

I’m glad I read this before buying the F-1 Bars. I’m shopping today and just put on my list the Kashi TLC’s. Thanks.

TMG

on 10 Jun 2007 at 10:40 pm42 Heidi

If you are sharing the FiberOne bars with your children make sure they are 3 years or older. I am a Registered Dietician and Studies show that kids 3 yrs+ need only “their age plus five” to equal the amount of daily fiber needed (exmaple: a 3 yr old needs 8g daily fiber total (3+5=8g)).

If they get more than the daily recommended fiber, they will have terrible gas and painful bowel movements. My neighbors 5 yr old son learned the hard way when his Mom gave him a bar and some fruit to loosen up his stools and he began crying when his “tummy” began to hurt. He now will only get 1/4 to 1/2 of a bar and it seems to be perfect for him on the days that he eats poorly and needs some fiber in his diet.

Also, I love these bars, but agree that they are high in fructose corn syrup so if you are trying to lose weight, beware that they may make you crave more sugary foods, which is a vicious cycle.

Tip: Drink lots of water with these bars and you should be fine = less gas and bloat. Enjoy! :)

on 11 Jun 2007 at 2:09 pm43 Voncille

I just found the FiberOne bars last week and purchased a large box. My husband and I have been keeping our weight low and eating lots of vegetables, fruit, beans and grains. We liked the idea of these bars and have been using them as a dessert. Ever since I started eating the bars I have had a lot of bloating, cramps and gas. My husband who is eating the same bars thinks it is funny that I think the bar is causing the problem but after reading this blog he can have the rest of the box.

Mel

August 25, 2007

These bars along with Skinny Cow fudge bars are why I am so successful with weight watchers! They are both so chocolatey!
    Mel

Dulcie

August 25, 2007

Check the ingrediants on the chocolate ones!! THey contain some seriously nasty stuff!

fiber one, chocolate… second ingredient is “Chocolate Chips with Confectioners Shellac”

10th ingredient is “Ethanol “
    11th ingredient is “Shellac”

ingredients 20 and 21 “High Maltose Corn Syrup , High Fructose Corn Syrup , Sugar “
    now in doing research i did find out that confectioners shellac is the stuff that goes on jelly beans to make the hard shell. and it must be mixed with ethanol to get that effect. oh its also used on milk duds and other hard outside candies… kind of gross dont you think?

i just cant see how they are manufacturing these as healthy! especially when they have the high fructose corn syrup in them.

Nancy

October 21, 2007

Mmm.. Gas Bars… I just found my new favorite prank gift o.o

If the total of trans fat = .499 g or less per serving they’re legally allowed to write 0g trans fats on the lable. So, even on items labled 0g trans fat, you have to look for “hydrogenated” and “partially hydrogenated” in front of any oils used.

Anonymous

November 28, 2007

oh my gosh!! Hilarious!! It is 4:30 AM /I can’t sleep. Found this site and I am laughing OUT LOUD (with my hand over my mouth so as not to wake up the family.) After reading these posts, I don’t know whether to try these bars or not. If they’re that good I’d like to taste them, but gee, the gas issue sounds like a problem. My goodness, Thanksgiving day had me walking around like a penguin-and these could be worse. ohhhh, I better not.

Anonymous

January 26, 2008

I love my farty bars. Fart bars are delicious and even though everyone from work doesn’t like my farty fart fart problem and obnoxious odor (an odor that has neigh been smelled before), I will never give up my FartyOne bars, I eat 12 a day for proper flatulence. Fart ON!

Roni

January 27, 2008

OK, that’s just hysterical! LOL

Leng

January 30, 2008

I have tried these many times. I’m on my 2nd box and I have never had a problem with them before. It’s shocking and HILARIOUS to see the comments about these “FartyOne Bars.” I hope they don’t go off the market because it’s giving people so much gas, LOL. I also found it funny that I found the following about chicory root. It’s so ironic.
    “Chicory root has the effects of lowering cholesterol, reducing the pulse rate, and aiding in stomach and liver complaints. It is believed to increase the flow of bile. Among other internal uses are those for sore throat, hemorrhoids, tuberculosis, abdominal cramps, melancholy, deafness and rashes. The juice of the chicory plant is also used as a laxative for children.”

Anonymous

April 2, 2008

I see a lot of people saying how tasty the Fiber One Chewy Bars are, but perhaps they should be asking what’s in it?

From the ingredients of the Chocolate Chip Fiber One bar:

These two ingredients are the primary reason that people are reporting gastrointestinal disturbances.

Ethanol:

Ethanol within the human body is converted into acetaldehyde by alcohol dehydrogenase and then into acetic acid by acetaldehyde dehydrogenase. The product of the first step of this breakdown, acetaldehyde, is more toxic than ethanol. Acetaldehyde has been shown to increase the risk of developing cirrhosis of the liver, multiple forms of cancer, and alcoholism.

Shellac:

Shellac is a brittle or flaky secretion of the insect Kerria lacca, found in the forests of Assam and Thailand. Shellac is considered edible and it is sometimes used as a glazing agent on pills and candies. This coating may not be considered as vegetarian as it may, and probably does, contain crushed insects. In the tablet manufacture trade, it is sometimes referred to as “beetlejuice” for this reason. Shellac is known to cause allergies on contact, resulting in skin irritations.

This ingredient is why people are reporting the craving to eat 5 bars in one sitting.

Chicory Root Extract:

Chicory Root Extract is used herbally as a tonic and appetite stimulant. However, long-term use of chicory (Root chicory – Cichorium intybus var. sativum) has been shown to damage human retinal tissue, with dimming of vision over time and other long term effects. Although small amounts of root chicory consumed medicinally or as a seasoning can be harmless, root chicory contains volatile oils that can be metabolized in the liver and digestive tract into toxic by-products that damage retinal nerve cells and cause dimming of vision. All parts of the plant contain these volatile oils, with the majority of the toxic components concentrated in the plants root.

So if you don’t mind having severe gastrointestinal problems, cirrosis of the liver caused by toxins, and eventually going blind, than keep eating this garbage.

General Mills and their employees should be ashamed of themselves for using poison in their food products. And the FDA should be shut down for years of poor oversight.

Roni

April 3, 2008

Thanks anon! I actually stopped buying them myself as well.

Anonymous

April 14, 2008

haha this is so funny. I would honestly rather eat these as a snack then eating a bag of chips or a candy bar from the vending machine. I have never had any problems with them in terms of the whole gas thing, but I guess i’ve never really ate so many in one day. There are so many food items that contain bad things, it really is sad. But the key is moderation.

Ray

April 25, 2008

Fiber One, GAS GALORE my goodness.. I wonder if Oprah has tried these yet, afterall it’s her trainer that is endorsing them. Anyhow, these bars are fantastic.. I love the peanut butter, so when I was at the store I purchased 3 more boxes without realizing these were the problem.. My fiance and I googled them and by reading the posts we are not the only people to have this problem. Needless to say I took the 3 boxes in to work today and put them out in the lunch room.. I laugh every time I walk by checking to see how many have been taken…. it will certainly be easy to figure out who has eaten one. They really need to put a warning sign on the packaging, I had to leave my yoga class I was in so much pain. I even had to come home early from work one day… thank god I figured out what the problem was…. no more for me if I want to get married.. ha ha

Anonymous

April 28, 2008

ah! I just googled this problem to see what was doing this to me! I cannot stop the gas. They have boxes of them at my boyfriend’s frat and that is where I tried one. Now I am moving around constantly trying to make sure he can’t hear me farting. UGH. Embarrassing. They are SO good. I will never have one again though…this is way too uncomfortable and embarrassing.

Anonymous

May 7, 2008

I liked these bars, but didn’t know what chicory root extract was so I looked it up turns out it’s a laxative and appetite stimulant.

(http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/chicory+root)

baritone

May 19, 2008

I had 2 of these bars during the day last Tuesday. That night I had to attend an Installation dinner for my chorus officers at which I had to sing. I spent half the night going to and from the “ladies room”. I had severe stomach cramps and gas when it was my time to sing…oh the pain!! I had stomach problems for 3 or 4 days after. Reading your comments makes me know my suspicion about the cause was correct. My big Costco sized box of Fiber One bars went out with the trash. They WERE tasty though :(

ali anderson

September 4, 2008

I found a similar post to this online and I found out why I could stop eating sweet foods. I had been eating one a day as part of my lunch at work. They were so yummy; but I have since switched to Kashi TLC bars, and I am now looseing the weight I gained while eating these F1 bars. Also I am very glad that the sugar cravings stopped.

B. McGrew

September 28, 2008

I’m so glad I found this site. Who says there is a gas crisis? HA! I thought something was wrong with me until I started researching this product. I love the taste of the product but the pain and embarrassement that goes along with it is so not worth it.

My sweet-tooth is always getting me into trouble.

Adrienne

October 31, 2008

OMG!!! I have been eating these for months and having HORRIBLE gas!! Like nothing I (or my family) have ever smelled!!!!! I only eat one a day – for breakfast every day and I have not connected the two until now! I will regretfully give them up – I was so excited because Aldi carries their own brand now too! Well I guess I’ll find another breakfast theat isn’t so “offensive”!

Beth

January 16, 2009

I just bought 3 boxes of these bars because they were on sale and I heard they were delicious…they are delicious! I noticed a lot of problems with my tummy the past couple of days, and now I know the cause! I hate to throw them away (I’m not mean enough to give them to people at work, plus I don’t want an office filled with everyone’s farts), but they are definately going in the trash. I don’t think I can even make it to the gym after eating one this morning!

Brenda

February 19, 2009

After experiencing bloating, gas and pain every afternoon for the past 3 months I finally figured out it was the Fiber One bars. I was so busy at work the other day that I forgot to eat it and that afternoon I noticed that I had no gas problems. The only thing different was the F1 bar. So the next day I didn’t eat one and again no problems. After looking at the ingredients and researching this, I’m sure the bars were my problems. Definitely not worth the problems. I have my own office at work and had to keep odor spray at my desk so whenever I left one, I could hurry up and spray to mask the odor. If someone came into my office, there is no one else to blame. I also burned scented candles. Some people have said they get used to them and the symptoms go away but I can’t imagine that will ever work for me since I’ve been eating them for over 3 months. And…..I only ever ate 1 a day. I believe it’s the chicory root that is causing the problem. It’s the first thing listed and it’s probably the only thing that is really different.

Kelly

February 20, 2009

Wow! These reviews are funny! I had the same response when I mentioned that I loved them at a WW meeting- most of the people there had experienced the unpleasant “aftermath”.
    Personally, I haven’t had any problems! I guess I am one of the lucky ones. I’ve been eating 3 or 4 a week for 5 months. I keep one of the chocolate oat bars in my car at all times for emergency attacks of “gotta have something” on the drive home from work. I am aware that some of the ingredients are questionable, but they really satisfy my occasional craving for something gooey, chewy, and chocolate after a tough day.
    By the way, I joined WW in 9/2008 and have lost 32 pounds. I’m 11 pounds from my goal weight. Love your site Roni- I have picked up so much useful info here! Thanks.

Maryjo

February 26, 2009

This is too funny! I have IBS and bloating so I thought I would try these bars to help my bloating issues. WRONG……..I ate two yesterday afternoon and while I was cooking dinner in the evening, I got a mild cramp and let one rip which was strong enough to levitate me. NO JOKING! Anyway, I kept passing HUGE amounts of gas and I could hardly believe this was coming out of my body. I had to keep walking outside to save myself the embarressment of my family. Finally, went to bed with hubby and had no control over the MASSIVE gas !!!! He laughed not believing this was coming out of my body. Needless to say I have spent all day on the toilet wishing I had a seat belt attached to it!!! I feel so sick and the cramps are really bad. I will give these bars to my mother in law!!!!!!!!! =) LMAO

Michelle Sullivan

February 27, 2009

when i read this comment i knew exactly what she was talking about without even looking. Those suckers will blow you away lol

Lady Downsize

February 27, 2009

Oh Roni, I am glad you referenced Maryjo’s comment I just had me and the couple girls around me at work crying with laughter and almost rolling on the floor.

Maryjo, you definitely have a way with words, and if you picture it animated like I do your descritpion is even more outrageously funny!

Krista S.

February 27, 2009

This is my favorite thread to keep coming back to. Friggin hilarious! Maryjo…thanks for sharing….ROFLMAO.

Me

February 27, 2009

If I even LOOK at those bars I’m in for a week’s worth of gas and cramping…..My son and I were in Sam’s….with the free samples….and he said “what are those?’ as he is grabbing for one……
    so I said, ‘those are those granola bars that…..’
    I swear, I didn;t even finish my sentance and he was running in the other direction!!!!!

Dawn

February 27, 2009

If you want the same type of flavor without the cramping and gas, Kelloggs has new Fiber Plus Antioxidants chewy bars…I’ve seen chocolate chip, and dark chocolate almond. Both are delish, 2 points of WW per bar, and without the interesting side effects. I tried these after the Fiber One bars, I can’t eat those anymore!!!

Plus there’s a coupon on the website! These are definately a good pick me up in the morning, or a satisfying snack in the afternoon.

Jamie

March 2, 2009

Toooo funny!! I just had to google “Fiber One Bars & Gas” today….I lucked out and found these bars at the DOLLAR STORE!! They had both kinds, chocolate & PB…so I bought some…tasted them and they were great! So I went back and stocked my cabinet. WELL I have been eating about 2 a day for the last 3 or 4 days and OMG the GAS IS CRAZY!! So I kept thinking…what am I eating different? Then I remember, the Fiber One bars! Although I love them and it will be difficult, I will be limiting myself to ONE per day. So glad I found this post to confirm my suspicion. I hope this goes away soon!! OMG

Lori

March 9, 2009

I am laughing out loud!
    If your ever having a lousy day, google “fiber one bars and gas”, I laugh and laugh for hours!
    I love these bars, but cant stand the side effects!

Patsy

March 10, 2009

Wow…I actually saved the wraper to look up the side effects…OMG how can they sell this stuff and not put warning signs..The Gas was flowing out of me like no tomorrow. I usually get a 10:30 break and I eat one. By 2:00 the tremours start.. I know because the second it started I looked at the clock..Oh nooooo 4 hours of this …..at work please make it stop…LMAO…Luckily the gas was flowing out not ripping out…Silently painful. I have 2 boxes of this stuff. What to do?what to do?

Riz

March 26, 2009

OKAY!! these bars are TO DIE OVER!!! Yes…FARTY BARS or whatever…you are all correct. However, they are the only bar that fills me up and I have tried well over 50 different bars. Around 11 or 3pm I go crazy for them and they hold me over until lunch or dinner. Oats and choc are great and yesterday I got the choc mocha for any of you coffee lovers!

I have eaten one a day since January 15 and the bloat and gas has gotten better, but it is is still there. Hopefully there are no horrible deadly effects of this chicory root extract that comes out later….other wise I wil be a gonner!!

sassyaztec

March 26, 2009

OMG! I’m cracking up over this old thread. I CANNOT eat these. D’lish? yes, but I fear the Fiber1 Farty Bars. I saw the funky ingredients too and decided it wasn’t worth it.

Lisa

Carol

April 8, 2009

I tried these bars also, and the first time I thought the gas and bloating was from something else, then the next time I tried one the same thing happened and I was on a trip out of town and spent the whole time being uncomfortable and trying to keep my jeans zipped up the bloating was so bad. I will never eat these again.

Sarah

April 15, 2009

I bought a 5 count box, loved them, so I bought a 30 count box. I didn’t make the causal relationship until I read this site but ever since i bought them I have been having huge stomach pains and excessive gas. I am going to throw away the rest of the box…thanks guys for helping me figure it out!

Laura

June 5, 2009

I tried these, the Oats and Caramel flavor. I agree they are delicious. But, OMG the gas pains!!!! It was the most awful pain! I had 1 for breakfast 2 days in a row. I didn’t make the connection until after the 2nd day, the pain and gas was much worse on the 2nd day by the way. It was terrible! I won’t be eating these again. Gas X didn’t even help at all. This bums me out because they are yummy, but not worth the pain (or farts).

anonymous

July 8, 2009

The Kelloggs has new Fiber Plus Antioxidants chewy bars have the chicory root fiber and the same gas problem.

noname

July 11, 2009

I love these – they are delish and work as a great laxative when needed. Whenever I’m feeling a little backed up I eat one and problem solved! Over the counter laxatives don’t work nearly as great as these do… I will always keep these on hand!!

Allison Johnson

July 26, 2009

HOLY ROTTEN EGGO TOOTS BATMAN! I have eaten these for the last time! (Much to the joy of my family) I have had gas and stomach cramps so bad that I thought the paint was going to peel off of the walls! I finally connected the dots (or farts should I say) after I ate one before bed and woke up with bad stomach pains and gas. There is no way to hold the covers down and keep these babies under wraps! I have eaten these for a while now and I was growing quite suspicious of them…..After trying to find others who have had the same “experience”, I am throwing the rest of these into file 13! If you want to win friends and influence people, don’t eat Fiber One or Fiber Plus bars!

Pamela

July 29, 2009

You guys are funny. I love them. Believe it or not, everything you eat or drink is eventually determined either bad or questioned in some way or fashion. Wait long enough and you will get a review written or verbalized about what you’re eating and why it’s not good for you. Eat too many bananas and you will get gas. Apples cause gas for some people. A slice of bread causes gas for some people. Breathing in too much air can cause gas. Some medications you take causes gas. But, yet you still choke down that pill in the name of cure or recovery. Trust me, I’m living proof of each one I just named. Gas can actually be deriven from any source of food if you have the right combination of stimului, i.e. stress, fatique, not enough water or too much soda, coffee, etc. My point is Gas is Gas and it will come and it will go. Literally, if you catch my drift. So, either eat them or don’t eat them, but the point of matter becomes what you tolerate and what you don’t tolerate is up to you. So, don’t direct the shame towards General Mills, point your finger towards yourself if you choose to divulge. Gas up and enjoy the ride if you like them and if not sit this ride out for surely another product will come your way and airlift us again.

Rachel

July 29, 2009

I ate half a oats and chocolate fiber one bar and 15 minutes later my throught started to swell and I had troubles breathing. I believe it was because of the Chicory Root Extract.

Anonymous

August 12, 2009

This is the most hilarious thread I have ever read!!!! ROTFL. I googled FiberOne bars and found this. I bought a pack at the grocery store and loved them, so I went to Sam’s and got like 5 packs in a huge box. Sometimes I eat them for breakfast or a mid-day snack. They fill me up and definitely have a laxative effect.
    Anyway, I noticed I was gassy, but didn’t make the connection. Today though, I ate two and holy farts is right!! I can’t stop the air leaving my body! I hope my husband doesn’t make any advances tonight…I might blow him away! So much for the headache excuse. Sorry-honey. Not tonight. I had a FiberOne bar and …oops-here comes another one!!!!!! LOL!

Mel

August 15, 2009

This is such a relief! One of the chocolate bars came with my newspaper a few days ago, and I just ate it – I wonder if people are farting up and down my street!!!
    I have the most painful cramps and am about to throw that freaking wrapper across the room.

Mel

August 15, 2009

I think the best thing about is thread is that it’s been going on for 2 years!!!

lunzy a la lunzygras

August 16, 2009

LOL I’m cracking up… again! I had to see what Mel was commenting on that had been around for years. A HA! Of course the Farty One Bars. I still eye them at the grocery store, linger a bit and then move on. Not worth it. ;)

chicory monster

August 22, 2009

Tasty, moist and chewy and yummy chocolate, but and there is a big but, LOL. There should be a warning on the box. Eat under extreme caution and alone, and limit yourself to one. I made the mistake of eating the entire box over the course of the day and evening and nothing else. OMG, the problem would have been solved if it ran me to the bathroom, but I only had extreme gas. this could be a problem if others are present or you are in public. I finally farted it out and I am done. nomore for me. I might in the future try just one and see how that goes, but for now I am worn out from the side effects of chicory root. This goes way beyond inhaling too much air or even eating beans! This causes the same problem as sugar alcohol, but worse cause sugar alcohol made me use the bathroom not just feel gased up. This is terrible even my dog ran for cover glad I didn’t give the dogs a taste. LOL

Christi

August 28, 2009

OMG! This is sooo funny. I love these bars, but unless you don’t mind pooting all over the place. Be careful! When I first started eating these bars I had so much gas it was crazy. But as I kept eating them, it’s not as bad as it was. I’ll still get gas but not like when I first started eating them. They are delicious. I was able to leave candy alone because I eat these to satisfy my sweet tooth.

Bev

September 12, 2009

I bought a box of these because I’m not very regular at all. I go once, maybe twice a week. (I’ve ALWAYS been this way so it’s “regular” for me. I think.) Anyway. They do work. I’ve gone once and sometimes TWICE in one day since eating them. The only problem I have now is that I’m insanely thirsty all the time. I know if you have diarrhea there is risk of dehydration and I’m wondering if this is similar since I’m not used to going ever day….

Beth

September 21, 2009

I have been in agony for the past 4 days and finally figured out that it’s because I started eating Fiber One CEREAL 4 days ago. The box says it has 57% of the daily fiber needed and after experiencing cramps, bloating, gas, and about 400 bowel movements since I ate the first bowl, I’ve decided that it’s just too much fiber for my system to handle in one serving of food.

I will be tossing the box when I get home tonight and writing to General Mills to tell them they need to put a warning label on the box. I seriously considered dialing 911, I was in so much pain. Yes, the stream of fart comments is funny but the reality is not.

Venee

September 23, 2009

Those of you touting Kashi as an alternative should know it causes the same kind of gas explosions. Take it from me I’ve had them all! Look up some blogs about Kashi Cereal (especially the crunch) the comments are just like the ones for Fiber One. I do agree though Fiber One bars are AWESOME, but the gas result is not.

Caitti

September 28, 2009

I have eaten these bars regularly for awhile and I feel like my stomach has adjusted to digest them better. I don’t quite get as gassy as I did before. But then again maybe it’s all in my head.

Carol

November 29, 2009

Two words: uncontrollable farts. I had never experienced anything quite that extreme.
    They tasted good, but I will never eat another one.

Michelle

December 7, 2009

I don’t know, but perhaps some of you are eating too many of these bars, or perhaps trying to substitute them for candy bars. I eat 1 maybe every other day, and have no problems. I don’t eat 4 or 5 at a time, and don’t crave sugar. I find them to be “GREAT”, and they are working well with my weight loss, along with exercising about 1 hour a day!

Ron

January 8, 2010

Fun comments back, or should I say “back fire”? LOL “Fart Bars”, what a good name! Now I know why I’m having the gas attacks! And, normally, I can sneak one out without my secretary hearing, but these gas attacks come on strong, and LOUD! After one of those, I usually wait for my secretary to leave for the day, or step out on a break, before I leave my office! Can you imagine what she’s emailing all the other secretaries? LOL

OK, on a more serious note…
    1. Does anyone know what the difference is between the “chicory root extract” and “psyllium husk” is?
    2. Also, which is better?
    3. The Fiber 1 bars equate to about $0.50 per bar. Has anyone made their own rice crispy bars, adding in the chicory root or psyllium husk? If so, could you share how much you added, etc.?

Thanks! Happy tooting to everyone!
    Ron

January 13, 2010

Hi Ron!

Great questions. Unfortunately I don’t know the answers. :(

I will say if I was to make my own I wouldn’t add chicory root or psyllium husk.

Ron

January 14, 2010

Hi Roni,

Nice name, by the way! :)

OK, if you were going to make rice crispy bars with “fiber” in them, what would you use?

Thanks!
    Ron

January 16, 2010

Ummm good question! Flaxseeds? Sunflower Seeds? Berries? Dried fruit? Fiber One Cereal? Bran?

Now you got me thinking! lol I may take my hand at these. :)

LordGreystoke422

February 4, 2010

have been eating Fiber One Bars for a while and I have contended that the name of these delicious treats should be “TheseWillMakeYouShit” I mean HOLY BLAZING BAT GUANO BATMAN!…I wonder how many people have eaten these and gorged..and eaten too many..5 or 6 on your first shitting…err I mean sitting..cause they taste so good..only to be hit with the most amazing colon exploding crap of their life a few hours or so later..
    Has anyone else noticed a difference between the flavors and their gastronomic explosive power? I noticed someone else mentioned that they thought it was the chicory with caused the mind numbing bouts of flatulence and defecation. I had noticed that ingredient and suspected that it is the culprit.
    Something else I have noticed..I THINK the Peanut Butter Flavor actually makes me Poot(p) less than the Chocolate ones…they also happen to be my favorite. Let me rephrase this..I have the theory that the Chocolate helps to boost the power of the Chicory.. resulting in more extreme colonic overpressures. I really dont like the Caramel flavor..so I can’t really compare that one..
    OH…here is a suggestion..at about the same time I found these Bars of Shitonic Force.. I also found at Sam’s, Frigo Cheese Heads String cheese in an over-sized pack.. That I eat like a fiend..and have realized it IS possible for me to eat too much cheese.. Needless to say..after eating 20 pieces or more of these cheese strings in one sitting..I put myself in pain a few times by binding things up.. SO…with that in mind..I suggest..eat some string cheese AND your fiber one bar..it makes a good combination..they sort of cancel each other out a bit..this suggestion comes from my own anecdotal fecal experiences.

Michelle

February 4, 2010

The problem with some of you is you have no control. You eat these things like pigs, and therefore the cause of your issues. I have had a box of 20 of these bars since early December, and I eat them in extreme moderation with my diet, sometimes even eating half a bar. These comments make no sense, when you are eating these things 2 and 3 in 1 sitting…..LMAO!!

mich_riz

February 4, 2010

LordGrey, you are hysterical…lmfao…haaaa!
    Gotta say though….it doesnt matter if you eat just one,,,the bloating/gurgles/extreme gas…still happens…cannot imagine eating more than one in a sitting. One bar causes enough issues…and YES the chicory root first or so,ingredient is the issue I think.
    My mom eats half a bar in morning and half later and has no issues….too much trouble I want the whole bar in 5 seconds,,lol.

rlt

March 7, 2010

Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you. Thought I was losing my mind, or just most of my small intestines. SO reminded me of alien sci-fi where something was going to pop out of my bloating, crawling tummy. I purchased 2 at the check out stand. I actually asked the bagger to return my refrigerated cookie dough thinking I was making a smarter choice. Didn’t eat them both on the same day. Would have been much happier with a sugar cookie and less uncomfortable. No more purchases at the check out stand. Thank you fun people!

Ron

March 11, 2010

Lordgrey, with the combination of string cheese and the Fiber1 bar, would that be called, “cutting the cheese”? LOL

Just for eveyone’s humor, I had one Fiber1 bar left. It’d been sitting in my cubboard since my Jan 8th posting here. The other night, I had a desire for something sweet, but didn’t want to eat anything bad. I saw the last Fiber1 bar, and thought, “It’s night time, I’ll be ok”. NOT! All the next day, I was like a jet fighter taking off from an aircraft carrier! My excuse to the secretary that “a car must have backfired out on the street”, only worked the first time or two. After that, it was utterly sheer embarassment.

So, the moral of the story is, if it makes you toot, then don’t eat it! :)

PS Hey RLT, can you imagine what would have happened if you “had” eaten the Fiber1 bars AND the cookie dough? LOL You would have been sweet smelling! And, hopefully only that! LOL

Ron

March 11, 2010

Michelle, I’m glad that the Fiber1 bar doesn’t affect you like it seems to affect 95% of the rest of those that have tried them. Maybe you’re special? And, as for people eating “…4 or 5 at a time…”, or “…eat these things like pigs…”, I have not seen where people are eating as many as you are accusing everyone of doing? For me, I’ve eaten 1 (one) at a time, only. I’ve even eaten only 1/2 before, and I have the same problem. Maybe I’m more “full of it” than you are? Come on, lighten up, most people seem to have problems with this product, everyone’s having fun, let’s not get down and harse on people for having a reaction to the product, and put them down for excreeting putrid gasses into the environment. With that note, I’m feeling an “after shock” coming on, I need to close my office door quickly! LOL

joey

May 4, 2010

Several months ago, I ate 2 of the peanut butter F1 bars at work one morning, and the gas/cramps were awful; I remember that day I had an afternoon meeting with my boss, and I had to keep excusing myself from his office so that I could go into the men’s room and let some of it out! I threw the rest of the box away the next day, and I never ate them again until this past Sunday. Just for the hell of it, I bought a box, and once again ate 2 bars in the morning; I figured since I was at home & had no special plans that day, I’d be safe if the situation repeated itself. But I felt fine for the rest of the day – no cramps, no gas, no distress whatsoever. At first I couldn’t understand why, but then I realized that it’s probably because everyday for the past few months I’ve been drinking PlumSmart juice, which also contains prebiotic soluble fiber. When I first started drinking it, I admit I had some of the same problems as with the F1 bars, but not as intense. Maybe now my digestive system is so used to this kind of fiber, that I don’t react to it anymore. So, I wouldn’t give up on eating these nutritious bars, just give your body time to adjust and most likely you’ll feel fine.

Pam

August 11, 2010

So glad I found this. I thought I’d found a gold mine of delicious chocolate and fiber when I ran across these bars. Would eat one or two a day, but would get this AWFUL gas, and I never have gas! Couldn’t figure it out as I’m not new to eating fiber. Well, guess that chicory root or something is causing it. (Plus it does have a bunch of sugar.) The rest of my box just hit the trashcan!

Amanda

August 14, 2010

For me it’s more than gas – the effect is like I’ve taken a strong laxative! I’ve found that gas, bloating and urgent diarrhea (yes I said “urgent diarrhea”) are worse if these are eaten on an empty stomach. It’s a need to poop that can’t be ignored. I thought it was just my system’s reaction to the excessive fiber, but I do think it’s the combination of ingredients. I eat a ton of naturally occurring fiber in fruits, veggies and whole grains and never have this problem. I quit eating these a couple years ago after I had “issues” during a client meeting at work – how embarrassing! The ingredient list is just gross and processed. Think whole foods like fruits and vegetables if you are looking to achieve your diet goals – unfortunately, there are no shortcuts to weight loss. I truly believe all the processed crap is the reason for America’s weight problem – we get addicted to this industrial strength manufactured stuff huge corporations sell us instead of real food. If you’re constipated, there are less painful ways to find relief – Citrucel for example is very gentle, never fails me and actually provides relief from bloating. Glad everyone is talking about it, and it’s not just me.

Wully

October 23, 2010

I am sitting at my PC and suffering! after having 2 of these today.
    I am definitely going to stop eating these. They are going in the bin straight away. They really need to put warnings on the packet!
    Hope this goes away soon….

Anonymous

December 22, 2010

“Ethanol? Isn’t that something I put in my car?”

“Ethanol causes cirrhosis of the liver and cancer and will KILL you!”

The ignorance in these comments is astounding. Ethanol is just another name for common grain alcohol, the same kind that’s in beer, wine, and any other alcoholic beverages. The amount of ethanol in these bars is minuscule. You’d have to eat enough of these bars to get drunk on a regular basis before you’d need to start worrying about the ethanol in them, and I’m fairly positive that’s physically impossible. If you’ve ever had a beer, you’ve had more ethanol than you’ll get from 100 of these bars.

Please don’t comment on something you have no knowledge of.

Margie

January 11, 2011

Hahaha…LMAO!!! I am also a victim of the “Fiber One Farts”. Plus, something wierd about them is that I actually get CONSTIPATED from them…huh, I thought fiber is supposed to do the opposite??? They are deeelicious and I was trying to find out the points for them and stumbled across your site, so funny. I love how they taste so I was thinking maybe it was just coincidence that was causing my stomach issues and was going to keep eating them and hope for the best…but after reading these comments and seeing it is no coincidence, I dont think so! I also feel they should have a warning on them–ya know, like the Olestra chips do… “Caution, may cause cramping, diahrrea and loud stinky farts”

Deb Cadovius

February 9, 2011

Let me say this:
    I have serious IBS (the kind that I go too often) and these bars really help calm my stomach down. I can’t handle several types of foods because of my sensitive stomach but these bars (only 1 a day) help my stomach to stop going so often. I notice a huge difference in my stomach when I don’t eat them. I guess I’m lucky that they don’t bother my stomach like most people. :-)

Daniel H.

February 10, 2011

Holy Gaseous Goose-nipples!
    Check that out…someone that IS naturally bowely actually gets relief from these yummies..I noticed that it takes a lot less time for me to acclimate to the Fiberone bars after I have not had them for a while…or at least so it seems…

Marcy

February 19, 2011

I also suffered the ill effects of the FOFB’s. My best friend kept telling me how good these were but she sure didn’t happen to include what the side effect were! I had two last night cause I wanted to try both flavors and man oh man! My husband is totally offened by the fart in bed so I had been holding them in for a while, it was like holding back a tsunami! I thought I would sneak one off quitely right well it started off innocent enough then it was like I blew out the wall, my poor husband awoke from a deep sleep yelling “what the hell” he thought someone crashed into the house I of course fell out of the bed I was laughing so hard! Caution: Must have sense of humor when eating these bars!

amy

March 7, 2011

These are perfect to satisfy my urge to binge eat. If I need to binge, I inhale 3 of these and cannot eat for the rest of the day! It sure beats my previous 2-3000 calorie binges!

Angela

March 30, 2011

OMG~
    So happy I happened upon this site. I thought I was dying with some colon thing~ I do have a little IBS but after eating one of these bars, I felt as if I had food poisoning~

A few months back I had one and had to get up in the middle of the night with cramps and a bowel movement that was like water~

Now yesterday, I wasn’t very hungry for lunch so I had one and thought, I’ll give them one more try, perhaps my first incident had nothing at all to do with the bar… WRONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I was up at 4:00 A.M. same nausea and the runs big time~

I also believe it is the chicory root~ Never again will I eat one of these. I advise anyone out there not to eat these, especially if you have IBS~

Lovenv

April 1, 2011

Maybe I’m the odd duck here, because I have never had anybloating or other ill effects from eating them. On the rare occasion I do eat one, my system becomes tip top and regular. One bar cures irregulatrity for me with no bad side effects whatesoever. In fact, I bought a box last night, because of some … ahem … troubling constipation. For me, they are nothing but sweet relief!

Anne

April 3, 2011

I think that a lot of people are sensitive to the chicory root, while some people aren’t. Pamela, you totally miss the point here. Yes, there are foods that give people gas, but the pain and bloating that comes with the chicory root is way beyond acceptable. I tried easing into it, but even after 3 months, I was miserable. And Gas-X did nothing for it. Someone who doesn’t react to this has no idea how bad it feels. I do think that FiberOne and any other company that uses chicory root to jack up their fiber content should be ashamed. It’s a cheap way to do this and tricks people into thinking it’s a good product. It is so not worth it. I have never reacted this way to something that was supposed to be good for you. Read those labels, people. Anything that claims to have lots of fiber probably has chicory root.

Brad

April 14, 2011

These taste great, but they give me the runs. Honestly, everytime I’ve had one, diarrhea. Not gonna eat anymore.

Marian

June 4, 2011

These bars are soooooo gooooood i have no complaints after a little while the gas stops,i have lost 5 pounds in 6 days i am so happy will continue eating them

kargar

July 19, 2011

These taste good, and I have not had the gas problem or runs. Since constipation is my issue, i could use the runs, he,he. Sorry for the TMI. Anyway, I think this is a good product for some and not for others. Try it, and if it works, then so be it. I will do more research on the chicory root though.

Daniel Burton

July 25, 2011

A lot of people make the mistake of suddenly increasing their fiber intake without increasing their water intake. This means that the fiber bulks in their stomach and they end up bloated, in pain (sometimes with gas), and seriously constipated.

Anne E.

November 4, 2011

I am a college student and I have been keeping the Fiber One bars in my room as a short snack before class….Well not such a good idea 0_o First off I sit in the front of all my classes so after I eat a bar and go to class I would fart and when everyone starts smelling it and asking who dealt it, so you know what I do? Look around and go along with the crowd “Yeah seriously oh my gosh whoever it was needs to go to the doctor” But on a serious note these bars and even the 90 calorie brownies are so good in taste and nutritional wise but I have learned the hard way that one is enough! I even tried having it for a night time snack and lets just say I did not get much sleep that night other then the extreme amount of gas and excessive bathroom use these bars are great…when used sparsely (Oats and caramel is delicious)

Safster

November 15, 2011

Oh Man! Fiber one bars are lethal…but so delicious. Honestly they should market this stuff as a laxative (or the next addictive drug cuz im hooked :s). So I tried eating just half this morning for breakfast…10 hrs later and ive been to the restroom about 4 times and i feel like someone’s popping bubble wrap in my tummy…

Laskow

November 16, 2011

Michelle, just because your experience is different than others does not mean you are better and/or right. I bought the bars for the first time today and I ate one. Yes, only one. I know it’s hard to believe, as you seem to think that everyone sits around with a box in their lap, shoveling bar after bar into their greedy mouths, but in this instance, you don’t know what you are talking about. As I said, I had one bar and the gas has been coming non stop for 5 hours now, which truthfully is entirely strange to me. I am not going to lie and say that I never have gas, but it is extremely rare for me to let one rip. Anyways, I have eaten one of these bars, and I really don’t plan on eating a second, unless I am in bad company. Michelle, Do some people cram food in their faces and maybe thought to eat these as a lower calorie alternative, only to turn around and eat the entire box in one sitting? Yes, I am sure it has happened. But to assume that everyone that experiences issues has been doing this, is just plain dumb. You get a gold star for your self control, but your not the only one with that trait.

Nan

January 6, 2012

Thank you! I tried the Oats and Caramel bar 2 days ago. Shortly afterward!!!!!!! I have suffered for the past two days. Thought I was having a gallbladder attack! Swollen belly, pain, gas, etc. Will never, ever buy again. Also, they are wayyyyyyyy too sweet for my tastebuds. The sugar content is off the charts.

michelleh

February 22, 2012

Until your body gets used to the fiber, you will have bad gas or intestinal problems. Fiber is good for you and you need to eat it. If you eat one per day for 2 weeks your body will adjust and be all the better for it. It is like anything else, if your body is not used to it, it will react. Give it time and don’t give up after the first bar or box.

michelleh

February 22, 2012

Oh and drink water with it or else you can’t digest the fiber and the problems are even worse. When you increase fiber you MUST increase water intake.

Farting Machine

March 14, 2012

I’ve turned into a farting machine since I started eating one Fiber One bar a day. It took me a couple days to figure out what was causing all the gas. It was so bad at work I had to go to the ladies room and hit the flush handle & fart at the same time to disguise the loudness! I bought a box of 36 at Cosco last Friday, so I guess I’m in for a real tootin time until there gone.

Gracie

March 19, 2012

I can’t believe I keep going back to them. I’ve been eating them for years, knowing what they do to me. But I just can’t help myself — and now that they came out with the 90 calorie ones, I discovered that they were only 1 point each, so I was like, “hey! I can eat a whole box and it’s only 5 points!” I thought since they looked like mostly rice instead of the makeup of the regular Fiber One/Fiber Plus bars, they wouldn’t be hazardous to my stomach. As George Takei would say, “Oh, Myyyyyyyy.” My youngest makes me sleep in his bed at night (and shares a room with his big brother), and I could NOT control the sounds last night. It wasn’t even regular fart sounds. They determined that it sounded like we were watching Return of the Jedi, because mommy’s poots sounded like that Ewok dialect from the movie. Seriously. It sounds like words flying out of my backside. Entire conversations! And the gas today makes me want to die. Have been watching the clock all day, praying for the glorious moment I can get in my car to leave, roll up the windows, crank the radio, and cut loooooooooose.

Cindy

April 5, 2012

I’m SO glad to read this because I’ve been so worried that I had a serious colon problem that I actually called my GI and made an appointment for a colonoscopy this week. I thought I might have some kind of cancer that caused me to blow up like a balloon. I bought the Costco box and had been eating a couple a day. The bloating and farting got so bad and my family was disgusted with me….can you say MOTORBOAT! One night I actually ran from the dinner table and couldn’t get far enough away to mask the LOUD noises. I came back literally hanging my head, and said “Something is WRONG with me, This is crazy!” Haven’t had one in 3 days and I’ve finally returned to normal.

Richard

May 24, 2012

Very interesting comments. I bought some Fiber One bars to take on a trip. Consuming 2-3 bars over a day would produce copious gas and made me a very “regular” guy. After I got home, one night I got the munchies and ate 6-7 over the space of about 3 hours. Two days later I was in the hospital. Tests eventually showed I had ulcerative colitis. I can’t say the bars were the sole cause of the syndrome, which I’d never had a problem with before. But they sure as hell exacerbated it into something serious. Fiber One better put some kind of warning on their packaging before somebody sues their ass off.

BOB

December 4, 2013

Um… warnings? Shouldn’t you know better than to eat a whole box of ANYTHING in one sitting???

Nancy

June 5, 2012

I truly have to laugh at all these comments! My hubby and I usually have one bar a day each, but only if we are not going anywhere!! We are both in our 70’s, and there is no way we can hold back on the gas. When my mom was still alive and in her 80’s, I would take her shopping and she would give little “toots” all down the aisle of whatever store we were in. I would laugh so hard at her and tell her to PLEASE try to hold the “toots” in!! It was embarrassing!! Well, I am getting payback. Our families come to visit and the sons and grands sit and laugh at my “tooting” when I get up from my chair—a toot for each step I take!!! And you just know that my mother is laughing her head off in heaven, too! PAYBACK!! Thanks, Fiber One!!

Mike

June 12, 2012

Like most others, yep, these bars give me a bout of almost uncontrollable gas about 3-6 hours after consumption (or as I like to say, planting the bomh). But, instead of avoiding the bars, I embrace them for this reason! Plus, they taste good and are a suitable, small snack.

If I’m going to be out in public, and especially if I’m going to be flying that day, I’ll load it up. I only need 1 bar. Works great on Southwest, as soon as a family looks at the empty seats next to me during boarding, I let one rip and off they go to the back of the plane. Works like a champ. Want to get closer to the stage at a crowded concert? Eat a few of these before the show. Give me a couple of these, a bowl of steamed broccoli, and a bag of beef jerky and I’ll win any farting competition out there hands down. I’m not ashamed.

Karen

July 11, 2012

You folks are absolutely HYSTERICAL and should be doing stand-up comedy! Thanks for the day brighteners. I agree the bars are toot-inducing, and have decided not to buy them although they were tasty. However, they are not a balanced snack with almost no protein. Try Kashi chewy granola bars. They are made with real ingredients (natural enough to sell at Whole Foods Market, but also available at Wal-Mart, Target, Kroger, etc.) They have plenty of fiber, protein, healthy fat, and have never caused gas/bloating, etc. My favorite is the Dark Chocolate Mocha. (Husband also likes them although he does not drink coffee.) Happy summer everyone!

FoodFiend

July 12, 2012

I noticed I had the same embarrassing problem with Fiber One bars as with eating prunes or too much dried fruit or cherry juice. These high fiber foods/laxatives require lots of water when you eat it. I think drinking lots of water has worked for me after making the terrible mistake of eating a handful of prunes. They really need to put a warning label these foods.

Dave

August 8, 2012

Ok, I think many of you are getting confused about what is causing the “discomfort” and embarrassing flatulence. It’s not necessarily the Chickory Root Extract, the source of the fiber in the F1 bars, it’s the fact that it is very high in fiber in general. Think about it: 35% of a persons recommended intake of fiber in ONE small bar. I was having similar symptoms this morning, and I haven’t had an F1 bar in a few days. But I DID have hi-fiber oatmeal. 40% daily value of fiber in 1 serving. Same thing, I was tooting all morning, and the oatmeal doesn’t have any chickory root, psyllium or any other extract. All it has is Oats. But the fact that it is so high in fiber is what is causing my “musical accompaniment.” With the diets so many Americans are eating nowadays, many people aren’t used to that amount of fiber all at once.

Dave

August 8, 2012

Oh, and Karen posted (a couple before this) that F1 bars not a very balanced snack, low in protein, and I agree.
    A better alternative might be Nature Valley Protein Bars: 10grams of protein in each and still 5grams (20% daily value) in each bar.

fart machine

January 8, 2013

oh thank god i’m not alone. chicory root IS THE WORST. it causes intense irritation after it moves past the stomach into my intestines (or so I’m guessing that’s where that ‘magic’ is happening). i won’t say painful, but seriously uncomfortable and all i can think about. i can literally feel the bloat travelling through my tubes and when it finally gets to my rear, i’m farting like a boss. super hot, smelly, and loud. hate hate hate hate hate chicory root.

YumYumTootToot

May 25, 2014

I have a love/hate relationship with these bars. They taste so dang good and seem like a healthy “quick” breakfast, but the gas… sweet Lord! Do NOT eat these at work! I’m happy to know I’m not alone in this discovery, but sad that my tum-tum no likey. Will I ever eat these again? Sure- just on the weekends ;)

Paula

June 3, 2014

I have tried F1 bars before and ended up hiding the 6 or so I had left because my stomach was hurting so bad! After a few months I guess I forgot how bad they were and started eating one every other day..well today I had horrible pain in my stomach and convinced myself that it was a gall bladder attack! I have already been to the emergency clinic and have appointment with my doctor tomorrow. I really believe it was those bars though after reading a comment here that someone else believed they had gall bladder symptoms too..will never eat these again! Also it turns out the chicory root is an appetite stimulant! I am ready to sue the makers of this hideous product!! D

lacheal

February 26, 2015

I recently brought a box of the Fiber One bars I ate three bars later that evening because they were tasty and I was hungry. I woke up 8 hours later with horrible gas then I had horrible diarrhea. I also got so sick to my stomach that I vomited twice. I am someone who already has stomach issues so if I would have known that other people had gotten gas and diarrhea from these bars then I would have never ate them! It’s been two days since I got so sick and I am still not 100 percent better. I will never eat anything that has added fiber in it again!!!