Originally Posted on March 22nd, 2007 12:45 pm
I’m creating a new category for posts called, weight loss tips. I used to have a static page but I wanted the ability to post a tip now and then and have it showcased on the main page instead of being hidden. Below were the tips archived from my old site.
I have tried to lose weight for as long as I can remember. Why did it take me so long to figure it out? What made me successful this time around? Why did I fail so many times before? I’m not quite sure but I decided to jot down all the things I did this time around that helped me successfully lose 70lbs. Here are a list of weight loss and diet tips I hope help you on your journey. If you have any tips of you own please add them with the comment feature at the bottom of the page.
- Rearrange your Refrigerator. I now keep all produce, fresh veggies and yogurt on the most predominant shelves. Everything else goes in the drawers, like breads and Bill’s junk food! This way, when I’m hungry I see the good stuff first. I also found that by doing this food doesn’t go bad as quickly. I haven’t thrown a bag of lettuce out in a LONG time.
- Get more volume for your calories. For example, I buy shredded mozzarella. I use it for everything! Tacos, pizza, salads. I weigh out an once and it’s exactly 2 points. Perfect. Well, one day, I bought the fancy shredded kind and when I measured out an once I was SHOCKED! It look like so much more! To me more is better even if it really isn’t more. Now I only buy the fancy shredded kind. This is a mind trick example but you get the idea. If you think you are eating more you are more satisfied. Bulk up burgers with lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, green pepper slices or add tons of veggies to homemade pizza. Anything that tricks you into believing it’s way more food but adds only minimal calories.
- Bring tons of stuff with you. When I go to work I don’t worry about lunch anymore. I bring a ton of 1-3 point (50-200 calorie) snacks and literally eat ALL DAY. I’ve become a gazer and it’s worked for me.
- Not everything needs extra cheese or cheese at all. This is one that is pretty personal to me but I’ve learned that everything doesn’t need cheese and if it does 1/2 ounce is usually enough. Gosh, I look back before weight watchers and I must have been eating at least 25 points worth of cheese a day!
- Eat more veggies. When I have dinner I’ll usually have about 4 ounces of protein, a small starch and then seriously about 3-5 servings of whatever veggie I make. Normally broccoli, green beans, snow peas, sugar snap peas or zucchini. It fills me up and makes my plate look like there is enough food to feed an army.
- Weigh everyday. I don’t count it towards my weekly weigh in and I understand there will be ups and downs. But it keeps me motivated and in check. I know there are different philosophies on this but I’m sharing what worked for me.
- Carrot Sticks! I know they aren’t free! But they are a life saver. I will host parties and when everyone else is eating chips and dip, pretzels, and candy. I keep munching. I’m completely satisfied and I don’t even notice that I’m not eating what everyone else is. I’ll usually count 1-2 points for them.
- Fruit! I know it has points but I don’t stress about how much I am exactly eating. I normally just count a point for everything except bananas. I figure no one got fat eating too many strawberries. Sometimes I eat less then a cup, sometimes more, I figure it all evens out so I just always count it as a point.
- Stay Active. I don’t really have a regular exercise routine but I do stay active. I have the 5 story rule, I take the stairs if it under 5 stories. I dance with my son at least once a day and I when the weather is nice I walk in the evenings. Other then that I try to get in workouts when I can. In the summer I’ll go for hikes and in the winter I’ll try and do a 1/2 hour of a video of something but I usually never keep it up for long.
- Don’t stress about parties, or special occasions. I didn’t get fat because of one meal. I go and make good choices then come home and calculate my points. I will then adjust the amount of Flex points I use the rest of the week.
- Write everything down and be honest. I have every food journal since I started. If I know what I’m making for dinner I will subtract it in the morning and then know how many points I have left for the rest of the day. The night before work I will grab all the snacks and my lunch add all the points and then know what I had left for breakfast and dinner the next day.
- Have faith in your plan. My chosen plan was weight watchers but I truly believe any healthy diet plan works. There were weeks I didn’t think I did good, I’m not sure why, I stayed within my points, but I could have made healthier choices. Those weeks I still lost! Why? Because I stayed in the points range. This gave me the faith to stay on plan! If you follow the plan you WILL lose. I believe that of almost any diet plan! It’s just that this one I can stay on forever.
- LOVE appetizers? I used to go to restaurant with friends and get mozzarella sticks, potatoes skins or anything fried! Then a salad AND a whole main entry. Of course I would rarely bring anything home. I don’t even want to think about how many calories I was consuming. Now I go and get a soup instead of an appetizer. Soups I choose are generally chicken noodle/rice, vegetable, black bean, beef with barely, minestrone basically anything "brothy". Then I eat half of my meal and bring the rest home for dinner. This way I still feel like I got an appetizer but the soup is generally only 1-4 points!